1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Decreasing Take Help?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Spearfisher, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Spearfisher

Spearfisher New Member

I apologize now for long winded story. I have started a beetle colony and it's doing great.. I am currently keeping them in a tote with heater and ventilated. And am in the process of converting a deep freezer. As for decreasing them I did my first successful one on the stove. Worked great but don't want to do them in my kitchen. I now got a heavy duty tote. A hot water heater element and a thermostat from Home depot. Once all together and wired and running the water is getting hotter than setting on it. I set at 120 and it was at 180 when I shut it off. I am fairly mechanical. I wondered how temp control worked. There are no temp leads. To the tank. No provisions on thermostat . What am I not seeing? Thanks.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The thermostat has to be in contact as best as possible to the water. Somehow the thermostat part has to be in contact with the tote surface where the water is I believe. Others have done this and can help better. The thermostat I use has a sensor in the water itself. I have seen this where people used an insulated cooler and cut a hole through the insulation on the outside to fit the thermostat and be able to glue it to the inner cooler liner below the water line.

3. The thermostat never seems to match the true temperature of the water, the lower on the tote that you put The thermostat and heating element the better off you are. Also the thermostat needs to be about 6 inches away from the heating element. I have found out through trial and error, also insulating your tank makes a big difference