1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leg Hold Trapping Ban In New Jersey

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Kish, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    The camel's nose is under the tent. Who cares?

This clipping was sent to me by John Janelli.

Leg hold trap ban - NJ.jpg

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

We have had a leg hold ban in Massachusetts for 20 years or so. in the city where I live we now have a overabundance of everything including stuff we never had before, Fisher, muskrat, opossum , fox, skunks and Coyote. What is missing from the scene locally and in the wooded and farm areas are the ground nesting birds, Pheasant, grouse , woodcock , killdeer there all gone. the trap banners don't even know they existed and are now they are wiped out. we do have turkey in the city though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

They banned trapping in Arizona in the early 1990's for all public land (75% of Arizona). You can only trap on private land.

:)

Kerby...

4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

funny how all these girly men in office fold.

5. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Same in California. After they did it predators were preying some endangered species of birds here. People were trying to figure out what are we going to do?
    Right now a bill has been introduced to stop “trophy hunting” of bobcats.

6. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Thanks RC, thanks Kerby for bringing me up to speed on old news. I haven't trapped since I was a teenager and so haven't kept up with the world of trapping and trappers.

I forgot to include the fact that this article appeared in the summer 1984 issue of Modern Taxidermist Magazine. And we did nothing back then...what's changed? Not a thing.

I give credit to Joe Bruchac and Tim Kelly, editors of Modern Taxidermist and American Taxidermist magazines for including this kind of content in their publications.

If anyone thinks this doesn’t have ramifications for taxidermists, let me say our day of reckoning is closing in on us. I’ll have more to say on that later.

7. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

" And we did nothing back then...what's changed? Not a thing. "

Actually the first time Arizona had Proposition 200 (ban public trapping) on the ballot (early 1990's) the NTA donated some money to help fight it. It was defeated the first time around. Then once 2 years passed and they were allowed to put the same Proposition 200 on the ballot the voters accepted it. :(

Kerby...

8. crittergedder

crittergedder Hunt With Your Kids Not For Them

Texas
    I believe there is a push to ban leg hold trapping in Nevada now !

9. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

it is worse than that folks. you can not buy a bobcat in ca. now, or sell one. not even a bobcat part. nor can you catch a bobcat in a box trap in ca. . and puleeeeze, don`t call it a leg hold trap.we catch them by the feet. modern traps, if the proper size and cked daily do not hurt feet, as witnessed by the myriad of trappers on here that sell animals with zero foot damage. the wolves and otters and lynx restocked in various states where did they come from? from foot hold traps, that is where. the thousands of coyotes and red fox sold annually to running pens the same way, out of foothold traps and sound on all 4 legs and feet. it is 99.9999% democrats pushing this making trapping illegal. FACT!

10. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I heard today that Nebraska or South Dakota ( forgot witch one ) is putting a bounty on some predators as they are doing a number on hen pheasants on the nest. Anyone hear this too ?

11. bob wendt

s dakota. $10 bounty on coons, possum, skunks, red fox, badger. no season on any, year `round. residents only.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If folks haven't driven through South Dakota, there are actually billboards promoting trapping and the wearing of fur. The folks there are very fur friendly. It's almost like stepping back in time.

13. bob wendt

non residents can trap in s.dak. but they can not get the bounty.

14. bob wendt

utah $50 coyote bounty year round, res and non res alike.

Chippers likes this.
  15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Bob ,traps for catching animals that step in them are called leghold traps no matter what part of the leg you catch it on and traps that animals go thru are called body grip traps even though they normally catch around the neck.Foot is part of the leg and I guess the neck is part of the body.By calling them "foothold" traps wont make the anti's any more sympathetic dont kid yourself.

16. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

You may catch a fox or coyote by the foot but smaller animals like weasel mink muskrat possum marten even fisher coon would need such a tiny trap to catch the "foot" there is not even any made or sold.

17. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Now it’s the furriers and garment industry.

From the news:

New York City could soon be a fur-less metropolis if Council Speaker Corey Johnson (D-Manhattan) has his way. Johnson, who represents the garment district and also is eyeing a run for mayor, has introduced legislation that would ban the sale of fur apparel in New York City.

The Johnson anti-fur measure comes a week after The Post reported on a bill introduced in the state assembly by animal rights activist Linda Rosenthal (D-Manhattan) to ban the manufacture and sale of animal fur. (End.)

After talking with taxidermy's most vocal advocate for support and activism on the rights of taxidermists, gun owners, trappers, tanners and furriers, and the most ardent supporter of wildlife conservation in general, I got this email (below) from our respected friend John Janelli today. He says as well as anyone could say it that the vast majority of today's taxidermy practitioners (including a majority who make their principle living at it) couldn't care a flip about protecting their rights or conservation of many dwindling wildlife populations. You want proof? Name one taxidermy association that has a Legislative or Conservation Committee.

If you think that government legislators are going to distinguish in the near future between the "fur" processed into garments and the fur-bearers made into rugs and mounts, you just might want to find a fall back job to earn your living. As I wrote in a former post - They Stole My Hawk - Part II ....

"When rights are left unclaimed or abandoned, government agencies will snatch them up quicker than a great blue heron snaps up a fish, and you’ll play hell getting that bird to ever disgorge it once it’s down its hatch. Those birds have long necks and herons are always in fishing mode. If you don’t claim and defend your very rights - you don’t have them."

You've been warned again. Make of it what you will.

Joe,

The NJ Trap ban in and of itself was a crushing blow to all outdoors people of the Garden State. When I asked for local archery shops, gun stores and outdoor retailers to put up signs and cans to collect money to fight the law, I was laughed at...LAUGHED AT! Instead I was given excuses like; “I don't trap - Well, trapping is cruel after all - It'll never pass the senate and my favorite of all; I will give up my traps when they pry my cold...” you know the rest. The fine line was that this law actually made mere possession of a rusty old size 0 through bear traps against the law for just having them on display anywhere in NJ. A pre-teen girl can have an abortion without her parents even knowing about it when handled through the educational institutions of NJ.

Drug paraphernalia can be purchased over the counter now in what we used to call 'candy stores'. Now imagine seeing a game warden confiscate a tray of novelty mosquito traps from a vendor at a fur sale here in good old NJ. To think, the motto of NJ is "Liberty and Prosperity". This all became a stark reality when I was arrested in my home for having 5 leg hold traps just rusting away into worthless scraps of metal by 2 green cops not a couple of years after the bill became law.

The proposed fur ban in NYC is likely taking flight from a fledgling, pin feather bill soon to be a soaring, scathing law hovering above us no doubt about it. Yet, I am convinced that these battles will never be addressed by the taxidermy associations throughout North America simply because of one common catalyst; none are organized to do so. Not they don't want to or that they don't know how to either. Taxidermy associations have simply evolved from being the voice of the industry to the stage of competitors, it's that simple. Recognition, glory, spotlights and front page photos have replaced the very instinct of survival of our community. We're trained now to submit, suck up and tolerate that which threatens our very existence. When was the last time you saw a pile of burning tires blocking an intersection during rush hour to extremely protest any sort of governmental injustice? 'We the people' have been reduced to 'we the weak'. Being political in taxidermy these days is about as popular as a vegan in a steakhouse. You can look at the menu but don't be preaching your beliefs to the patrons at their tables. Yet, every organization in taxidermy is not without their own infrastructure of politics. Sort of reminds of the old George Lesser taxidermy shop when he said; "You can have your buck mounted anyway you'd like, as long as it's straight."

Whitetails1, Richard C and wa like this.