1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Recommendation For Paint Table Surface

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by antlermike, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Moving my paint room have been told if I use Melamine for my table top that if paint dries on it it can be scraped up. My current table top is plywood and it has stain's all over it a few clumps of paint here and there. I have a friend who has Plexiglas on top of his paint table it seems to work fine. Dose anyone have a better idea or experience with Melamine

2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

melamine would be fine and if you put a couple coats of automotive wax on it and buff between coats it will make clean up real easy.

antlermike and Sotired like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Formica is what I have. Used it for years. Scrapes off easy and that includes epoxies.

4. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

UHMW if you can afford it.

antlermike likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Laminate counter top cheap and cleans up easy with thinner and or razor blade

antlermike and FishArt like this.
  6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I have a cleanable surface and I'm too lazy to clean it! It's a painting table. All those colors piled up through the years add character! I choose to leave the "patina" ha!

7. Yes the table top and floor ,Woodstock revisited.

Sotired likes this.
  8. JHardman

JHardman Member

Wyoming
    As a part time taxidermist and a full time chemist at a chemical manufacturing facility; my favorite material for tabletop surfaces is HDPE. High Density Polyethylene, This is the same plastic most of the nice cutting boards cabela's sells are cut from. You can order it from US Plastics or several other vendors. HDPE may be a bit more expensive than some other work surfaces but in my opinion it is a top quality choice. Paint, glue, bondo etc. clean off very easily. Work benches at work and home are either 3/4 cdx plywood covered with HDPE or conventional counter top covered with HDPE. This particular plastic is heat sensitive and can melt if subjected to extreme heat but other than that it is chemically impervious and very nice to work with and on. This is nearly the same as the UHMW Cory mentioned earlier.

Cory and antlermike like this.
  9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have a formica table that serves as my everything table I clamp my fish hang on it to do my fish and skinning deer to fish on the same tables.

antlermike likes this.
  10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I found a tabletop covered with a stainless steel sheet years ago and that's what I use for everything. Fish Birds deer and small mammals. Can't beat it. Good luck JL

antlermike likes this.