1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Be Paid Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Art Macabre, Apr 7, 2019.

  1. Art Macabre

    Art Macabre New Member

    I have recently started working two days a week at a taxidermist's shop. Mostly pulling pins so far but my plan to learn things as I help him with time consuming things so he can get caught up.
    However we are trying to figure out how to handle pay. Do we just do a 1099 thing? I am not an actual business though so idk if that would work. He'd rather not stick to cash cuz that comes out of his pocket and taxes etc. I don't want to do a full W-2 style thing if it's going to cost him a bunch of money.
    Is there some kind of apprenticeship option or is there even more hassle there?

    Just aiming for the easiest option here. Thoughts?
  2. Mike Powell

    Mike Powell Well-Known Member

    There are certain conditions for going the 1099 route. Asking a CPA is your best bet. The W2 route shouldn’t be too costly in that you would be part time. I don’t think he would have to hold out anything, but again it would be best to check with a CPA.

  3. HondaXR250

    HondaXR250 Active Member

    Years ago i was logging with the amish. He was paying me by check, and the way i assumed it was i didnt need to file taxes. Until i found out i owed $1500 federal and $300 state. Luckily it was tax time again, and they took it out of my next refund. So no matter what you do, make sure you do it right!

    Have you considered wampum?
  4. Fallenscale

    Fallenscale Active Member

    If you want a 1099. You have to be a independent contractor. You may have to get DBA and if the state your in request a taxidermy license you will have get one then. Upside you can deduct cost of your travel, tools,ect. But as stated above go talk with a CPA
  5. Sea Wolf

    Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

    I would think he can just pay you similar to if you were raking his yard for an odd job or babysitting. Payment by check would be easiest for you to keep track of and you will absolutely need to keep track of what he pays you because you will have to claim it on your income taxes. I believe there is an allowance for writing in things like this. But, as Mike Powell suggested, see if you can talk to a CPA.
  6. Fallenscale

    Fallenscale Active Member