1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scale Models For Scaling Lifesize

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Joe Kish, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    As a model maker, before I sculpt a lifesize model of an animal I've never done before, I often first make a scale model to work out the proportions, etc. It's simply planning your work, then working your plan.
    I made this rhino (large) miniature before I did the lifesize. A colleague needed a woolly mammoth form for a client who had purchased a set of real tusks and wanted to display them in his trophy room on a reproduction shoulder mount. I made this scale miniature first to work out the size, shape and characteristic first. I did it in 'summer hair' mainly for better accuracy when scaling it up to lifesize.

If you've never sculpted a scale model before, I encourage you to try one for the fun and challenge of it. It's a very satisfying exercise and just may reveal to yourself a talent you didn't know you had. Many famous taxidermists like Roger Martin and Forest Hart have moved on from taxidermy and are now full time sculptors.
    There's lots of books on sculpting available.

DSC01312.JPG DSC01316.JPG DSC01316.JPG

antlermike, Richard C and KatieC like this.