1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Walleye Paint Help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gusm, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Gusm

Gusm New Member

upload_2019-4-9_21-40-26.jpeg

Any help on what colors to use on the sides of this walleye? Tried once and got to gold, the fish seems to have a greenish gold on the sides. Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Silver pearl, gold pearl, golden yellow, yellow ochre, transparent green.

Fallenscale likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Jimmy this is what the newbies want. I don’t understand how to paint a fish.
    I don’t have any artistic skills , no color wheel. Tell me what to use.
    Besides being a dead fish.

Reference photo will help you and learning how to read them gives you all the answers you need.
    Not understanding what’s in a fish hurts us cause I can give you all the paint by numbers look and it’ll still look wrong.
    I know I sound like a pr but it’s true that your not understanding what a fish looks like or what colors to use.

Sotired, Mudbat and FishArt like this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Assuming you've tipped those scales gold, you can just come back over them with your air brush with some (very) thinned dark green and hit the side lightly. Might be able to salvage what you have. I agree with Frank though. The only way to learn how to replicate colors is studying color wheels and mixing your own colors through trial and error. Hint: Whatever color you're trying to mix add paint sparingly. Otherwise before you know it you will have a kilo of a custom color and will have used a couple of bottles of paint when you only need a 1/4 ounce! I know how to mix colors and still to this day I occasionally toss a bit of paint and start over - it's sometimes cheaper than continuing!

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

What does the mount look like? The canvass dictates the colors....unless/until you change the canvass...

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have used golden yellow as a base coat then lightly spray candy paynes gray over the yellow on the back to give a green tint to the back of my walleye.