1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Animals For Practice, Where/how To Acquire?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ColtonPruitt, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

I have been wanting to get my hands dirty for some time and move from just skulls and European mounts to small mammal life size and shoulder mounts, as well as birds. I have seen time and again that people recommend zoos, and breeders, pet stores and others. But how do you approach that conversation? It feels so awkward and bizarre to as for deceased animals from others. Any advice on this subject would be great.
    I understand that many other taxidermist sell pelts and mountable specimen on these forums as well, but as someone with a limited budget and time is there something other than feeder animals that is easy to get a hold of for practice?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to talk to some hunters, start hunting yourself, or doing some legal nuisance trapping. Fresh roadkill, if legal, is an option but risky, especially for beginners.

3. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

Thank you for your response. I have been discussing the road kill option with another user through PMs, and as I am sure you are aware, Texas has laws against picking up roadkill game animals.
    I don't know that many hunters around me, but I have started hunting again these last few years.
    I don't really know how I feel about trapping personally, but I think its time to at least look into it and see what its all about. Have you done any trapping in Texas?

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You would think they would like you to clean up the roads. Tennessee's law is the opposite. Anything you hit with your vehicle on the road is yours (except protected species).

5. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

I agree, but I also understand the other side. There are definitely people who would abuse that law to take game animals out of season.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The Texas roadkill law is not as strict as I once thought it was, But even on species that it applies to, a call to the game warden can resolve it. I have done some trapping with both live traps and leg hold. I recommend a trapping lisence although nuisance trapping is allowed, but you cant sell the hides.

7. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

I really want to sit down and talk to a Warden, I want to make sure I am above reproach on anything I do and reading and understanding written law can be incredible confusing and frustrating. My dad was a Sheriff's Deputy for 30 years in our county and I think he knows the current Warden pretty well. I have wondered if they would allow taking with a phone call and explanation.