1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Unbiased Opinion On Resolution Of A Refund

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by juli, Apr 15, 2019.

1. juli

juli Active Member

Couple of months ago I purchased a red phase coyote for a taxidermy mount, (not advertised here).

The coyote pictured in the advertisement was hanging dead, unskinned and I requested that it be skinned for taxidermy (eyelids, earbutts, etc). The seller said yes, they do that all the time. No problem. I agree to buy the hide and send money....

They mail it on a tues (we live only 500 miles apart). It arrives on Fri, no ice packs, wrapped in house insulation (I think? but now I don't recall, it might not have been wrapped in anything at all..., thawed and smelling like a stinky coyote. I inspect it right away. The place where the eyelids were is 2 large holes - no eyelids, nor even HINT of eyelids... I mean holes well over the size of a quarter. No earbutts either...

I immediately put the hide into the freezer and let the seller know I am going to need a refund as he did not provide a taxidermy quality hide as he said he would. He agrees, after seeing the photos (apparently he did not skin it, but his 'help' did).

I put the hide in the freezer and it is mailed back (after a delay of about a month, due to him not being around and me forgetting to mail it). I mail it on tues morning and tracking estimates delivery by Thurs (which I don't believe, but I figure it will arrive on fri). It is packaged in blue styrofoam with 3 ice packs... I intentionally froze the whole (packed) box to make sure it was good and cold when I dropped it at the PO....

It arrived the following monday. Rotten, of course. Turns out it spent 3 or 4 days ping ponging back and forth between Springfield and KC ... literally.... Seller wants to 'work something out'... I want my money back... If he had delivered the item as he described it would be, this would not be an issue. .

So - am I off base in requiring a complete refund?

2. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

How did you pay for it? If it’s paypal or some CCs you can fight it.

3. juli

juli Active Member

paypal

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nope, you should get a refund, this person should man up and accept that he screwed up.

D.Price likes this.
  5. You did not get a mountable hide. You got the typical crap trapper hide. As for the mail good luck.

6. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

Never (MAIL) anything
    You should get a refund

D.Price likes this.
  7. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    There two at fault. The seller and the post office. It really should of been mailed on a Monday as well.

8. Please tell me you didn't send payment "Friends and Family"! If so good luck!

Full refund!
    Never ever, ever, ever use the post office for this type of shipment!!!!

DP

KatieC likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

After nearly loosing a turkey head by sending it USPS on Monday with a guarantee of receiving it on Wednesday and they received it on Friday afternoon, I started sending it next day UPS. I never had a problem after that.

10. juli

juli Active Member

Just an update for anyone wanting to know the outcome.
    PayPal resolution center favored the seller on this. I am not sure what their logic was except they probably do not have a clue about taxidermy.

Buyer beware if you ever see something for sale from Jacob Schultz out of Yutan NE on FB. He doesnt do what he agrees to.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to use Paypal! Do they still charge you $10 bucks per email to argue your case? If you used a CC you probably would have got your money back. Also, just curious why he would even want the nasty hide back? Who paid for that shipping?

Kerby Ross likes this.
  12. Fallenscale

NY
    I bet your wish you had him send it whole frozen. How much extra you pay him to skin the coyote? Did you pay him more then the flat rate shipping rate? Did you offer him extra for the ice packs and insulation ? This is why good communication is needed. Not only to buy it at a lowest price. you could of told him to keep the head in. You say stinky coyote well some coyotes do stink it was wrapped in insulation then maybe not. If this guy a trapper and not well known for selling to taxidermist ask a lot of questions there was a reason it wasn't skinned. If a taxidermist charges $50 a hour then shouldn't skinning a coyote out be paid the same rate? I don't know the seller. I'm just saying it said on here all the time the worst customer is the one that wants something mounted for as little as possible. juli I'm not trying to throw stones at you but all buyers have a responsibility to to have a open conversation with the seller. There a reason McKenzie's charge so much for shipping.how often do there customers get damaged products. I'm am sure this will make the blood boil of many for me bringing these things up. Educate the seller don't assume they know.
    I'm sorry the deal went bad for you!

FishArt likes this.
  13. juli

juli Active Member

The hide was skinned by the trapper and he indicated he knew how to skin for taxidermy and sold hides to taxidermists regularly.

FishArt likes this.
  14. Fallenscale

NY
    juli I'm not trying trying get to defend the seller or you I'm trying get to point out both are responsible. You may say how do I know ask for a photo of the coyote skinned out. You would of seen the quarter size eyes. If I wanted to be a prike I would say you couldn't even return the coyote. But if he was selling to very many taxidermist the coyote would of been skinned out and not froze whole.

I don't think it fair to come in here when idem you bought was not sold here. It's bad press for the sellers that are on here that do a great jobs sending perishable items at risk all the time. The seller not around to give his side of the story. He offered you a refund you never returned it. Return china for a refund that breaks in shipping ouch

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I think you should have been fully refunded by the seller, regardless of the condition of the skin when he received it. Initially, it wouldn't have been worth much to him on the fur market. Sorry you had to take the total loss on this.

16. juli

juli Active Member

A person's word is a person's word. I have everything in writing via fb messages. I don't see where I have ANY responsibility for HIS mistake.

Also - I have taken a loss on three other items this year and never asked for a refund. One another red coyote hide (I was able to salvage the cape, at least), and the other 2, a pine marten and flying squirrels. I took responsibility for the loss and never even told the sellers there was an issue.

For those that say ship overnight....Shipping raw frozen is a risk. I just cant see paying double the value of an item (or more) just for shipping.

17. Fallenscale

NY
    If you had 3 other loss this year. Your dealing with people who have no clue what there doing. Your a bargain hunter looking for cheap cheap deals.

18. juli

juli Active Member

Nice of you to say that... but you have no clue.. I lost 120 on the marten alone. And the coyote was from a well established seller here

19. Fallenscale

NY
    I think for you it would be best not to buy any raw perishable items that need to be shipped. Your location must have glitch in the postal services.

But I think it's good you bought this post out because it helps new buyers know the risk and do there homework before they buy.

As I said before I'm sorry for your loss.