1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Heat Drew Out Oil?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ColtonPruitt, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

I made a mistake and left a whitetail skull in my truck today, and when I realized it after work I noticed some grease/oil was showing back on parts of the skull. I am on a bit of a time crunch, but I'm worried I need to degrease again? Is there a simple way to solve this issue?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I need to have it back to my 'customer' within the week.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nope there isn't a quick fix. If grease is coming out just sitting in your truck, it needs to go back in the degreaser.

3. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

I was afraid you were going to say that..

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Yep, a good degreaser (heated helps) and time. There really is no quick fix.

5. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

Would you go to the Ammonia, or the Dawn bath here? I have been reading Sea Wolf and others posts about heated buckets and trying to parse out how to do this without starting a fire with my electrical abilities.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    All of that info is here in the archives if you search it out. Hell you can use a turkey roaster, not a fryer but an electric one with a temp control.

7. ColtonPruitt

ColtonPruitt New Member

That's not a bad idea, cost is relatively the same and with as little work as I have now I could manage with that space. I have trouble digging through the advanced search, but I am learning. Thanks so much for all of your advice, hopefully I can get this one done and back soon.