1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Good Largemouth Bass Replicas Blanks

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Marvtaxidermy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

Looking for good quality Largemouth Bass replicas or Blanks pre paint. I like the Arp and Lake Country but the price of approx $200 makes it hard to push the replicas when the materials cost of a skin mount is less than $40. I'm a pure big bass hunter and never keep anything big and try to encourage customers to do the same, but hard to get the price competitive. I know more labor is involved with skin mount as I have done many in the past but would like to refuse to do skin mounts but still hard to make up the difference in price. I have no problem with a skin mount on any other fish, but not a big bass. The only cost competitive blank I have found is Archie Phillips for $60 but not a great selection and the quality is not quite there. I would think a good replica could be mass produced in the $100 range. Any suggestions?

2. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Mr. Marv,
    Not being a fish man myself, I don't know who Arp or Lake Country happen to be, but I do know that Star Fish has a long standing well deserved reputation for high quality fish blanks. And like anything of high quality, their products are not cheap. If you are in the business of making fish mounts, the first thing that comes to my mind, is why aren't you molding and casting your own product? For less than $200 of your shop time, you could mold a fish in plaster and cast a fine replica in fiberglass and resin. You may have a good reason for not making your own , but if you prefer to buy ready made products, then in a manner of speaking, you're working for the supplier.
    My business philosophy on commercial jobs has always been to use the cheapest materials that will get the job done right.

rogerswildlife likes this.