1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gloss Cover Fish Painted With Water Base Paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Marvtaxidermy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Marvtaxidermy

Marvtaxidermy New Member

OK to gloss coat over the finished water based paint with the same gloss coat used on laquer paint? Would think you could use the same. Switched over to water based and love the clean up and no fumes, it does take a little getting used to on the longer set up times and seems to cover differently.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure as I use lacquer paints but did dabble with waters years ago. I'm pretty sure the polyurethane coverings used in the automotive field will be O.K. as long as do a couple of flash coats.

Anybody else?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    rogerswildlife and FishArt like this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes as Cecil mentioned you will be fine as long as you go with flash coats AND you don't get the gloss too thick in any areas. I exclusively use WB paints and have glossed over with lacquer based gloss from rattle cans for 20+ years now with no issues...

rogerswildlife and Cecil like this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    As long as the paint is dried completely there should be little to no issues. I too use lacquer paint but from what I understand of the difference between lacquer and water based is just the delivery media, water verses lacquer. Hell even with lacquer based paint you should use a flash coat or two of clear prior to a wet coat.

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Nothing will change. Treat it like any other fish. Warm the fish up, flash coat twice or three warm and gloss.
    You cant mix the paints together but once dry you can paint lacquer over water or vice versa and have no issues.

Mudbat and Cecil like this.
  6. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Frank, would that apply to liquid scales as well, as far as WB over laq?

7. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Yes it does, if I may step on Franks toes! The main concern is to make sure ALL layers are COMPLETELY dry!!! The only issue I have heard of, though not experienced, is with waxes which may sometimes prevent a layer of water based from sticking. The key is to know your ingredients!

~S

Maineiac36 likes this.
  8. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

thank you very much!