1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Measurement

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jon., Apr 18, 2019.

1. Deer heads

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Game heads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jon.

Jon. New Member

I use to mount deer I was taut to measure from the tip of the nose to the corner of the eye and subtract a 1/4 inch and from the top of the nose to the back of the head and subtract a 1/2 inch and around the neck and subtract a 1 on deer heads can I still do that

2. John L

John L Active Member

You can. Measuring the tanned hide is best and I don't subtract anything when measuring nose to eye. I measure meat or tanned cape but I would say an inch is about right if you are measuring over the hair.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I don't subtract anything from the tip of nose to corner of eye measurement. I use it as measured. Measuring around the neck outside the hair, I would pull it very tight and still subtract an inch, but as John L said, it is much better to take that measurement from the tanned hide. That way you avoid having to deal with variations in the final tanned cape's measurement that can result from a number of different things you may or may not have control over. I don't use the length of head measurement at all.

4. I concur. I was always taught to take measurements on shoulder mounts from the tanned hide except eye to nose. Too many variables throughout the tanning process that can cause shrinkage, as well as if you have a hole to repair your decreasing the circumference of the hide as well. As for lifesize I still do carcass measurements.