1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

No More Masters Blend ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Apr 20, 2019.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I've used MB for long time as well .... Your not the first one to note the new Masters Blend being a thicker viscosity . Must be something to it , haven't opened the new bottles I got from Matuska yet but I'm betting your right and that sucks ... There are a few other products noted in the post you can try but the best stuff to use is Formalin 37% if you don't mind all the bad stuff that go with it .... Smell being the worst and its highly toxic to humans ......

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

It is not anymore toxic than any other household cleaning product. Formaldehyde (gas) is all around us, in foods, in smoking, in our bodies... (yes, we release formaldehyde and breaks down to CO2).... You will be purchasing Formalin, formaldehyde in water solution. Just dont inhale for prolonged periods and don't drink it. You'll be fine.

GotHonks likes this.

3. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

Thanks , good to know ....

4. I am using the original stuff and it is very thin and a lot of it runs out after injection and is quite a mess to use. I am just wondering if the new stuff being a little thicker would stay in the feet and legs a little longer and be less of a mess?

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

You've got to be able to get it in first!

6. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

I have used the old Master Blend and also the new stuff from Matuska I have not seen any thing different in thickness or dry time. You might have got a bad batch. Used the Master Blend from Matuska in Swans, Turkeys, Ducks and Upland Birds. no issues of any kind.

7. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

One benefit to using MB is that its thin as water so you can use the smallest syringe needle possible (once or twice if lucky ) and the MB dose not run out the hole because its so small it closes up after you pull it out .. Also be sure to use a twisty at the top joint to keep MB in the leg cuz it will make a mess if you don't tie it off ...
    When I use larger syringe needles , I plug the hole with a T pin right as I extract the needle stopping it from draining back out (be quick or you'll still have a mess).. Leave it in for 5 min or till your sure its sold ... MB is messy if your not careful and for me messy either way .... Hate using the stuff because I'm messy but it works good so I use it .... Try plugging the holes and you'll be happier ... be sure you mix it correctly because it won't set up if you don't .

8. Wildthings

The latest hack I've been using with MB is after injecting a syringe full into the foot, I submerge the foot into a jar of lacquer thinner past the injection point or any leaks. This keeps the MB from leaking out and I don't have the holes caused by installing the t-pins. I also immediately flush my syringe with acetone. I get about a dozen pairs of feet done with one syringe

9. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

It's rare unless I'm without glasses .. when I make another hole with the T pin , as I use a Sharpe marker where I insert the syringe needle so I don't miss the hole I'm plugging ....use to miss the hole until I decided to make a mark on each entry point .... I clean my syringes with acetone too but the insulin needles plug up easy , I've got cases of them so I usually toss them after each use .... Bigger ones for geese I clean and use over and over .... I like your idea soaking them in thinner , might give it a try ...

Wildthings likes this.
  10. Wildthings

before injecting MB I use the syringe to inject air into each toe/spot I intend to inject MB into. This provides space for the MB to inject into easier. After injecting air and pulling the syringe out I place a t-pin in the hole so I can locate it again, Then when injecting MB I pull the tpin, insert syringe and inject MB. Pull syringe and submerge foot in L. thinner leaving the pin out of the just injected toe. I rotate to the next foot and repeat. Depending on jar size I usually have 3 - 4 feet in the L.T. before rotating back to the initial foot to inject the next toe. repeat

GotHonks likes this.
  11. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

It makes me tired just imagining the procedure. You people are very determined to produce the best possible job. My compliments to you all.

Wildthings and GotHonks like this.
  12. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

..... Great info Wild things , I puff them up with air first as well ....

Wildthings likes this.
  13. hambone

hambone Member

Whats the process for positioning the feet before the MB kicks?

Wildthings likes this.
  14. Wildthings

I already have them wired for the pose. Even after the MB kicks they are somewhat pliable for a short period. They need to be pretty close to the final position when injecting. For example, a standing bird I will already have it wired to the body and to the base/driftwood it will standing on. Remove it from both, straighten it slightly, follow my injection procedure mentioned above. Once complete, I remove the electrical tape I wrapped tightly around the feather line cut. Re pose, install back on body and base and do final pose. I also put some type of plastic between foot and base just in case of any leakage. Let dry and paint before mounting. This will limit you to the pose you chose but you can adjust the legs slightly even after drying but not much