1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Deer Open Mouth

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Primetines, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Primetines

Primetines New Member

Making my first open mouth whitetail with an apple in its mouth. I ordered the mannequin but the mouth isn't open quite far enough to fit an artificial Apple. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to alter the mannequin to open the mouth a little wider?

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Well-Known Member

NY
    Use a half of a apple. Most deer drop one half after biting it in half anyway of course apple size matters if they do or not

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Use reference and find where the jaw hinges and how it moves as it opens. Cut mannikin where needed based on the reference and open the jaw more. I usually keep extra skulls around for this. I assume there's a limit as to how far a deer can open its jaw but I'm not sure what that is!

4. Sunil Dogra

Sunil Dogra New Member

India
    Yes, Fallenscale you were right, nowadays they spread over North America and deer are habitual with human life. They adapt themself very fast.
    Here is a post about Deer loving fruits.https://www.hunterhunts.com/do-deer-eat-fruits/