1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving A Shed Antler

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Julien, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Julien

Julien New Member

Hello everyone,

First, apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section. I am not a taxidermist (and I am surprising myself to be visiting a taxidermy forum in the first place!).

I found a shed antler while hiking yesterday. I found it nice and picked it up. I believe it had been out there for a while as it had black deposits on it.
    I have partially boiled it and I have cleaned it with a metal brush, so that it now looks pretty good.
    However, it is still somewhat smelly at the end where, I assume, the antler was attached to the skull (I guess that end must still have vessels inside).

My question is: should I seal the end that was attached to the skull? What material should I use to do so, so as not to damage the skull / not use dangerous chemicals?

Thanks a lot for your help!

J.

2. Brian Hayes

Brian Hayes New Member

Post a pic of what you have that may help us determine what exactly your worried about, I have found just over 200 sheds and some detach clean and some are jagged with a little infection around the pedicle area which can cause the smell, however the antler itself will not deteriorate just sitting on a shelf in the house.

cryals likes this.

3. I would wash the pedicle area with some water and borax and dawn soap and rinse well and even allow it to soak in that solution for a day before allowing it to dry. I can't imagine it smelling that bad I guess; maybe because it was still wet? Anyway I would allow it to dry and maybe apply a sealer to it after that if your happy with the results.