1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leather Punch

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jon., Apr 21, 2019.

1. Jon.

Jon. New Member

can you use a leather punch like mc Kenzie’s sales to punch hole in a cape like a deer to sow it up so it would be easier to sow

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The hole would be too big, would stretch out as it dries, and you would likely cut hair as you cut the holes. It would also tale more time to cut the holes than it would to sew it up in the first place. Use a sharp curved needle and you shouldn’t have any problems, at least none that pre-punched holes would eliminate for you.

3. I have pre-punched deer capes in the past because I couldn't seem to get the needle through the skin. They sewed up ok I think. I have now found that if you do a good job of thinning the area along the seam the sewing is much easier and punching is not necessary.

4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

5. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I have to ask if you are using a “cutting” needle or round? Cutting needles have very sharp triangular points which do penetrate leathers way more easily than non-cutting.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Absolutely Rich. If you're having to cut holes in a hide to seal a seam, you REALLY need to get a new needle. They were once called sail needles as they were designed to cut through heavy canvas. When you get a new needle, it will likely need "dressing" after a few capes. If you're no good at sharpening needles (as I am), then toss it in the trash and pick up a new one.

On tip you may not have heard also is your method. If you try to force a needle straight through a hide, it's going to be a whole lot tougher than pushing the point in about a quarter inch back from the cut edge on the hide side and have the needle tip exit right at or just below the hair line side of the cut. Just like slicing a roast beef with a carving knife. If you try to cut perpendicular to the grain, it's a whole lot tougher than slicing at a slight angle to go across that grain.

7. I think it also makes a lot of difference on how the hide is tanned. A D.P. skin will be harder to penetrate with the needle then a well tanned hide.

8. Jon.

Jon. New Member

I
    use dry preservertes deers I mounted along time ago before I quit for awhile still look good

9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

As George said, also what diameter is your needle smaller is better.
    When i went through a taxidermy school they had larger needles, I stabbed myself so many times trying to push their bigg needles through the capes. Later I found smaller triangle needle cut through much easier. What thread are you using on your deer capes?
    I started with the threads sold on the Taxidermy supply mags. I now use berkley fireline 20 lb test even 14 has worked. You don't need that heavy 150 lb test, string to hold the capes in place.
    Thinning the edge of the cape can help also prepunching the cape with a small awl can help. But try as smaller needle triangle needle a the super braid fishing lines.

10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I have my deer capes wet tanned and they are much easier to sew up. However, i do regular tan many hides and other capes and when they get a little tough I throw on my sewing palm. You can get one from most taxidermy supplies. I got mine from Van Dykes for about $13. The needle holds steady in the cup and you push with your palm. Sewing Palm.jpg

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use a tri cut 1 1/2" long small diameter needle on everything from quail to elk.

George likes this.