1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critter Clay-- Is It Normal For The Clay To Crack Up Around The Eyes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cryals, Apr 22, 2019.

1. cryals

cryals New Member

Texas
    I was setting some eyes and set them with critter clay and left it over night come back and the clay was all cracked and pulling off of the form. does this do that once the cape is on ? new to all of this

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I never put the clay on until I am ready to mount. I suspect it may have dried too fast causing the cracking. With the cape on covering the clay that slows down the drying process. For what it is worth, that is my opinion.

cryals, John C and magicmick like this.

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Apply a thin coat of hide paste with a brush before you do your clay work then hide paste again over the clay. There is a good article about it on the pro 1 website.

cryals likes this.
  4. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I just checked the website to send you the link but that info Is gone. Paul also had a great article on there about whitetail finishing.

cryals and magicmick like this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If I have to leave Critter Clay for a length of time I put Saran wrap over it and that will keep it moist as it eliminate the air exposure it takes to make the clay dry out.

cryals and magicmick like this.
  6. cryals

cryals New Member

Texas
    Thank all of you!! Will try yalls suggestions :)

7. Jon.

Jon. Member

I set my eyes with a hot glue gun and use sculp epox for mounting

cryals likes this.