1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paddlefish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rbear, Apr 23, 2019.

1. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Can you skin mount a paddlefish? I drew a tag for the Missouri river and am headed there the first week in June. If I get a nice one wanted to know if I should bring it back or get a reproduction.
    Thanks
    Ralph

2. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

a matter of preference I suppose but if your fishing in an area that you need to draw a tag to catch a fish, why keep it if a reproduction is an option?

3. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

B
    Because they are the best eating fish in the world and...they can only be snagged...they are filter feeders...and in many states it is illegal to release them. The fight often kills the fish or renders it unspawnable for the year. So people who snag and realse instead of just keeping the one fish often do more damage to the fishery than do gooders that snag and release multiple fish in a season. The seasons are heavily regulated with a catch quota. In this case, releasing the fish is not good. The quota will be met and any released paddlefish will not spawn and may die. My good freind is a biologist in Montana and he is fighting to illegalize catch and realease fishing of paddlefish because all it does is extend the harvest beyond the quota and waste rescources...

So, if you are going to fish them...keep the first one you catch...report it to the biologist and enjoy the best meat in the world...the trophy might be best as a recreation because you dont want to waste the meat. I caught a 70 pounder and a 50 pounder in Montana and I kept the skulls and had them professionally cleaned. They look cool as hell but the meat was the best thing of all. Cut the fish in steaks and cut off the fat. The meat has the texture of pork and a wonderful flavor beyond explanation.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Maineiac36 likes this.
  4. i have skin mounted a few..up to 90lbs. cast head a must and fins would be a good idea. a very greasy fish. if you have not casted alot of heads not a great idea.. not many commercial heads out there for paddle fish.. best option would be to do a repro

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't attempt a skin mount but that's just me. I would think they'd be like trying to skin mount a catfish - not fun! Here's a replica from LCR - a recent mold, but two part that I thought was pretty nice (Signature). It had a spearing scar on it that I had to repair (simple fix) paddlefishReplicaFishSpecialtiesReduced.jpg but other than that it was a very nice mold.

antlermike and Jason Cox like this.
  6. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

N
    Nice work!!!

FishArt likes this.
  7. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

My tag is for Gavin Dam in South Dakota. It if for archery and you only get one tag, one fish. I have heard the meat is excellent and if it's a female the roe is great to. A paddle fish trip is probably going to be a one time deal for me. That is why I wanted to mount it if it's a good one.
    I am very new to mounting fish. Have only mounted one skin mount and finished three replicas. Having a lot of fun with it so far, but still very much a beginner.
    Thanks for the all of your feedback, I was leaning towards a replica to start with and even more so now. The option of having the original head preserved and a replica sounds pretty appealing.
    Thanks again
    Ralph

Jason Cox, FishArt and Maineiac36 like this.
  8. Jason Cox, while yes they mostly filter feed. Every year there are many incidentally caught in Bull Shoals and Table Rock lakes on bass lures.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yeah, not too much of a demand for Paddlefish replicas that's for sure. This was the only Paddlefish I've done in 20+ years and it wasn't speared it was shocked - lol! (One of a many indigenous species I've done for the Illinois Historical Survey.)

10. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

I doubt they bite the lures...they can barely distingish daylight from darkness...their eyes are of little use...They probably just swim through the line with their mouth open and get snagged...lol. their eyes are tiny and clouded over..My biologist freind says he believes they can see very little..if anything at all.

11. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

If it was me, I would do a replica AND the skull. The skulls are amazing if you can find someone to do it! museum-of-osteology-2018-paddlefish-skull.jpg

FishArt likes this.
  12. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

That is amazing. I will have to read up on how to do them.
    Looks like if I get a good one it will be a replica and a skull mount.

Sotired likes this.
  13. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

check with the folks in the "Skulls and Skeletons" forum, they know about fish skulls. I think beetles are what are most often used. DON'T COOK IT!!!

~S

14. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I will. I would think boiling a fish head would just make a mess of it.
    Thanks
    Ralph

Sotired likes this.