1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Found Taxidermy Need Help Identifying And Appraissal. Was There Taxidermy In 1867? Thanks In Advance

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Frank healy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Frank healy

Frank healy New Member

15561465430016985977788020789426.jpg 15561465430016985977788020789426.jpg 15561465896101080368059897310472.jpg

2. Frank healy

Frank healy New Member

Thank you John.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I personally would be afraid of this
    Arsenic and asbestos
    ??

Sotired likes this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Clew, don't know about the potential Arsenic, but wouldn't the asbestos only be a concern for the taxidermist when mounting?

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

It remains an issue, most of these had asbestos mix to back thes fish

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's in a case and very doubtful that anyone will be trying to eat or lick it. Clean the glass, polish the wood and enjoy it. Value? Not a lot except for it's a vintage item.

George and FishArt like this.
  7. Frank healy

Frank healy New Member

Thank you for your reply.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Frank you didn't say what you wanted to do with this, but the value is next to nothing except some value on the cover. My guess is that its a poorly mounted yellow perch. Good luck JL

George likes this.
  9. Rausch

Rausch Active Member

The River Bure appears to grow some monster perch. There is an article online showing a guy with a 3#12oz and a 3#14oz perch from the same day. These can’t be the same species of yellow perch we have in the states are they?

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

why would wt be listed in lbs

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I think it is a great find! If you want to part with it, let me know.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

European Yellow Perch look very much like ours but are actually a different species (Our is Perca flavescens and theirs is Perca fluviatilis). The European yellow perch can reach larger size than ours.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/are-european-perch-the-same-fish-as-our-yellow-perch/

Rausch likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Are you sure they also used it on the fish along with the birds and mammals?

I'm actually surprised it held up as well as it did for that old. Of course the glass case helped tremendously.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Arsenic and asbestos scare you younger guys because of the words and not of their potency. Arsenic is a very heavy metal that unless you had your head underneath a shredder, you'd never inhale enough to make you ill and as Sea Wolf said, don't go licking it to see. And actually, the arsenic used was minute. It was heated along with soap and became an early fixture for lady's rooms during the Victorian era, thought to brighten the skin. Arsenic soap was made with the more stable gray arsenic and in combination with the soap used in taxidermy, created few problems. Asbestos is another voodoo word today for much the same reason. Working constantly in an asbestos, airborne environment, inhaling the element can prove disastrous. In today's world, asbestos REMOVAL seems to be more hazardous that living inside a house with asbestos siding.

Old taxidermy and old typewriters serve the same purpose. If you want to look at them and reminisce as to what might have been, it's priceless. Otherwise it's just junk that should be discarded.

socalmountainman, 3bears and JL like this.
  15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That "Make an offer" block pretty well sums it up. I saw one exactly like that in an antique shop in Princess Anne, Maryland last week. It had $50 on it but the last said she'd take $35.

FishArt likes this.