1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner Bird Help With Feathers Fraying

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Claudia, May 1, 2019.

1. Claudia

Claudia Member

Hello, I've come across a lovely Raven and have done small birds before and only one large parrot and when I did the parrot, after drying it the feather frayed, whereas before I wet him they were lovely and soft. Needless to say he looks sickly if you will. I don't want to make that mistake with this raven so am wondering firstly what could've caused the parrot feathers to fray so much and well, what to do to avoid that happening. I had the parrot washed quite a bit and then also had it soaking in methylated spirits for a few weeks before getting back to finishing it, maybe that's what did it?
    Any clues would be great
    Thanks

2. had it soaking in methylated spirits for a few weeks before getting back to finishing it, maybe that's what did it?
    I think that's what done it claudia,why so long in the metho bath?

3. Claudia

Claudia Member

Inexperienced I suppose. I was taught by a taxidermist that you can keep a skin in the spirits for us to 4 weeks before getting back to it , they did say particularly mammal skins like mice etc so I just thought well, you could with birds too. Rookie error I guess. I'm happy just to give it a good wipe down instead and go from there. If you think that's what did it, I'll run with that! ☺️

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Claudia, are you in the USA? If so, don't get caught with the raven. It's not legal to have. Crows yes, raven no.

5. Claudia

Claudia Member

Australia

6. I done a road kill bird that was starting to smell so i gave it a spray with metho to try to save it witch it did work,but straight after spraying the bird i then gave the bird another bath with a antibacterial soap,metho is solvent base i think you might of had it on the bird to long.everyone makes mistakes keep at it:)

7. Claudia

Claudia Member

Perfect thank you. I'm not sure why this taxidermist does this but, I'll give it a miss and see what happens
    Thank you ☺️