1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt/flesh/tan Vs Flesh/salt/tan Vs Flesh/tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by teentsymammals, May 5, 2019.

1. teentsymammals

teentsymammals New Member

I have simply skinned, fleshed and tanned small mammals. Now I'm working on a big, fatty skunk. I've seen differing directions on how to tan, some of which include a salting step.

Some say to salt and let the hide dry and then put it in the tanning solution. I assume you'd flesh first, but I'm not sure. Others don't mention salting.

When and why is it a good idea to salt? This would be for smaller hides up to a raccoon.

thanks in advance!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Salting draws out the untanable junk and sets the hair, as well as limits bacteria growth. The steps are flesh, salt, dry, rehydrate, pickle, shave/thin, back in pickle, neutralize, tan. Depending on what tan you use the last two steps may be swapped, from what I understand.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    With the skunk and coon (me) I would be sure to degrease. You have to flesh off all fat before salting the salt needs to get to the hide to pull the natural fluids as 3bears said.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep good point I forgot that step. about the only thing I don't have a seperate degreasing step is deer but I add it to my pickle for them.

Fallenscale likes this.
  5. teentsymammals

thanks for the answers. One more: what does the degreasing step consist of? and @Fallenscale, what do you add to the pickle?

6. teentsymammals

Also, I have never neutralized. What do you use?

7. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    The degreaser you can find at Mckenzie relaxer/degreaser many kind and things can be used. Dawn works well but not quite good enough for racoon and greasy hide animals.
    Neutralize with baking soda

8. teentsymammals

:)

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

With pro 1 submersible tan you have no salting , flesh cold water rinse blood out , squeeze excess water out put in pickle ( safety acid ) for 3 days take out let drip squeezing excess out , flesh on wheel back in pickle for 2 days , take out squeeze excess pickle out , then use pro 1 brush on tan .DONE neutralize , mount or freeze . NO SALT except in pickle

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Pro 1 does advise doing a salt brine
    Plus 3bears said it.
    It’s a useful aid in taxidermy .

11. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes salt in pickle solution but No salting before that . From raw fleshed cape/ hide rinse and straight into pickle , no salting and rehydration needed , I’ve done over 750 or so pcs like that. Very white pliable leather it’s awesome.