1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Propane Heat Recommendation For Studio.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JD Lake, May 6, 2019.

1. JD Lake

JD Lake New Member

I'm building a garage with a 14x18' (10' ceiling) replica taxidermy studio in the back. Any recommendations for heating the studio? I'll be using propane. Thank you.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    a boiler in another location if you insist on propane, you do not want any open flame in or around paint or chemicals or the fumes. I was considering the same thing but went with electric and am plenty pleased with it oh yeah and I'm in MN.

3. JD Lake

JD Lake New Member

Thanks. I was concerned about the cost of electric, but will check into it.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Insulate with the highest R-value insulation that you can afford.

5. I have a pellet stove in my shop it was the most economical way to go in NY costs about $4 aday to run

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Open flames in a taxidermy shop are a no-no. Almost everything is highly flammable. Have you ever tossed urethane foam on an open fire? It burns like gasoline. When a taxidermy shop catches on fire, all occupants need to get out quick. Nothing in there is worth life and limb.

7. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I have a 12' X 24' shop with 8' ceilings and heat with a direct vent propane heater for many years now. It is a 12,000 BTU unit and can handle our LONG Upstate NY winters. It costs me about $325 a heating season to keep the shop warm. I keep it on LOW when I'm not out there. My shop is 2X6" walls with R21 insulation, the attic is R56 blown in fiberglass insulation.

8. krollh

krollh Member

Radiant Floor Heat definitely!
    I built a new shop about 3 years ago. Before we poured the concrete floor we layed down insulation and the poly tubes for the hot water. We installed a small boiler that is propane fired on that hangs on the wall. I have two propane cylinders outside on a pad.
    As others said insulate the ceiling and the walls with the best you can. My boiler hardly runs once the floor is warmed up. It's on a thermostat and it's extremely efficient.

As far as flammability, you need better ventilation if you are creating that flammable of an atmosphere. Plus my unit is contained and pulls outside air into it and obviously vents the burner air outside as well.