1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green Wing Courtship Pose?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Avian84, May 6, 2019.

1. Avian84

Avian84 New Member

Has anyone had any experience with this pose? Ive got a customer asking about having one done. I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to accomplish this since in all my years of taxidermy ive never had such a request.

Thanks!

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Ken Howard's did one (and won) in Texas last year. I asked him about the tail structure and he told me that he did sand down the tail section and manipulated it so it would mimic the hip joint flexing. I would think if I did one I would try to do this also so the tail would set forward and high like they do in that pose. Besides that I would think that you would mount the rest as usual. If you use foam necking you'd have to notch it so to make the sharp bends, no different that a low neck stating pose. The tail flex , without making the belly too long would be the biggest alteration to make it anatomically correct. I've never done this pose.....and hope I don't. Post up pics when done!

3. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I did a pintail in their matting dance which is similar i skinned the bird all the way to the tip of the tail and i posed the carcass and carved a body to the shape of the carcass.

4. Page Nethercutt did a article on this very pose in Taxidermy Today, not sure what issue, it was a very good article and talked about the tail attachment.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Anyone have a picture of this pose? I'm trying to picture it but unable to.

6. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Green-winged_Teal_drake_displaying.jpg

bucksnort10, stuffit44 and wa like this.
  7. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

what great ref.:cool:

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wow, Thank you. I have never seen that pose before. It is so contorted that it almost looks wrong.

9. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

3 bears you would be surprised that it really is mainly in the tail the back dont bend too much that way.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, I figured that much. I'm aware that their spine doesn't have that much flexibility, some alterations to a commercial form would be needed to compact that bird like that. I've mounted upland birds with their tails similar but have not seen a duck in that pose. Thanks again for the picture. I learned something today, so it already wasn't a waste.