1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Climbing Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Brent Haxby, May 9, 2019.

1. Hey everyone I’ve been following and researching the forums for a while now and I stared a colony back in January. It’s a big colony now but I’m having trouble with climbers. So here is the setup, old chest freezer set for 80 and I’ve been feeding what I thought to be enough but just increased it due to the handful of climbers. The next day I had even more hanging around the lid so I tried the aluminum tape but when I checked I watched them walk right across it... also watched a few fly which I though wasn’t possible. Going to try Vaseline next but is there any other solution or wax I could use to keep them from climbing?

2. Also just turned the temperature down to 75 to try and slow them down a little bit*

3. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    When i used to keep climbing roaches, i used a 3" wide layer of petroleum jelly on the inside of my container. You might be able to get away with something like that.

Brent Haxby likes this.
  4. Yeah I’m going to try that today and see if it helps if not I guess I’ll just loose a few every time I open the lid

5. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Maybe if that wont work get some food grade silicone, and spray it around the edge.

6. What will that do? Is it slick or sticky?

7. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Super slick. We used to use it at one of my old jobs. Was fun to spray on co-workers water bottles ;)

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's possible your temp is off a bit. Below 80 they should behave. I use the Vaseline. Just remember it's there when you reach in for something. :)

Stephanie Frantz and Brent Haxby like this.
  9. Thank you both so much! I’ll try the Vaseline first because I have a bunch on hand but good to know about the silicone!!!

10. I just use aluminum tape around the inside. They can’t crawl up it

11. Mixing some baby powder (talc) with rubbing alcohol and dusting that along the edge should help. It's a trick used by people who have ant farms or other bugs. Works pretty good for me.

Also, turning to 75 degrees really helps a lot with the climbers and fliers... but it can also slow down your big repopulation too, so keep that in mind.

Vasoline works well to some extent. It helped with the adults, but the juvies just climbed up it. And silicone: my juvie bugs chewed right through it.

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The silicone mentioned is not the stuff in a tube (sealant). It is a spray lubricant and may also work.

13. Ah! Yes yes! The spray silicone will be great. My mistake on thinking you meant sealant.