1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Average size deer in your state

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Don Jahner, Aug 11, 2007.

1. In Arkansas it varies from large deer in the grain farm land areas to smaller mountain deer. In the Ozarks where noone grows grain a lerge buck normally is not over 175lbs, I have seen a few larger deer but in reality they are few and far between. Of course everyone thinks they have killed a 200lb deer and it just ain't so.

We dont have the food source, the cold winters and normally our summers are really hot and humid. All this does not lend to growing large bodied deer.

2. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    Here in Coastal section of North Carolina, most of our bucks are, 130 140 for two year olds. The average size I mount most is 7x16x18. Most all forms from McKenzie's that customer likes I have too cut down to fit. Thats a Bummer too! Any one have other forms they like around that size? Just tried a Gene Smith from WASCO and no shave down everything fit well.

3. C Ertle

C Ertle New Member

Mississippi varies from county to county, but there are places where a 140 lb buck is big. Then there are places where 225 to 250 lb bucks are average with some ranging in the 300 lb range. These big ones are mostly found in the river bottoms with hardwoods and grain fields surrounding them. Where I hunt the average large deer is 175 to 200 lbs with 7-7 1/4 x 20 x 23 type measurements. The largest I have ever killed personally was 265 lbs 7 1/4 x 20 x 24.

4. Becky I usually buy Frazier or Lancaster, and start hacking on them. Frazier has a few that are very close right outta the box.

5. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I'm wondering about the Iowa comments as well, Boxie. I had a hunter here last year that outfitts in Iowa. His clients take some monsters. He emailed me some very impressive pictures.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I agree totally, I've hunted Iowa a few times and those racks are SCRAWNY!!! If your thinking of going there I'd plan a trip to IL or KS instead. Don't waste your time in Iowa, especially south central portion of the state!!! I'd be shocked if they ever kill a buck in that area that scores over 140"! ;)

7. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

Iowa, here i come. see that reverse psychology really works. LOL.

8. cht

cht New Member

Same here in central Iowa, I shot the biggest whitetail I've taken last year, 145lbs , 8 point , measured 124 7/8 typ. I think I'll go out of state this year.

9. Shannon

Shannon New Member

It's all the same, whatever part of Iowa you hunt, I'm in the northeast corner, and it really sucks up here. Huge deer in Iowa is the biggest hoax out there since bigfoot. Locals laugh when hunting shows show giants from here. It's hard to believe how niave the general hunting public is. I'm telling you Kansas or Illinois is were it's at, NOT Iowa. Iowa deer hunting sucks!

10. California we are all over the board. Anywhere from 120lb-250lb. All blacktail and mule deer. I finally was able to do a white tail from Texas and what a treat it was to turn the ears, alot smaller than the deers I usually see.

11. BUCKGRUNT

BUCKGRUNT Are you talkin to me?

Iowa
    Don't know which part of Iowa this comes from, but I live in the north east part, a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year old DOE I have field dressed at 180lbs. Shot an 11 pt 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 year old buck last year that weighed in at 243 lbs. The deer around here are all corn fed and BIG. Of course we have some small ones, but who doesnt, Every year I see and work on trophy deer from this area.

12. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

Woods to wall, 180lbs in Iowa, LOL , you can't fool me. im staying in Michigan

13. In the U.P. of Michigan average deer taken is around 120 pounds and a forkhorn. Mature deer go between 200 and 250 and can score in the 150 range. Only if more folks would let them go to grow maybe that would be more of the average then the trophy.
    Ozzy