1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler-ear Placement

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CW21, May 9, 2019.

1. CW21

CW21 New Member

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone on this site as I have learned a great deal from all of you, and sorry for this post as I know it is very repetitive thread on here. This is my first time posting but I've spent all day reading and still not sure the best route. I am mounting this deer for a friend and it has very large bases. Im having difficulty placing the ears. The ear butts are tight against the burr and I'm going to have issues getting the hide in there. I saw on another post to put a straight line from the nostril through the front corner of the eye to the antler burr, I feel like I'm close but just missing something. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would tip the antlers forward and use clay for ear butts.

3. CW21

CW21 New Member

Thanks tanglewood! What if I'm already a little short on my tip too nose measurement, like 1/2 inch short? I know it's not the end of the world but I didn't want to get them to far forward.

4. CW21

CW21 New Member

I forgot to mention that my burr to eye measurement is right from what I had recorded

5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    that form may not be "anatomically" correct. the ear butt location looks to close. maybe its just the neck swell that makes it look like that. i was told there should be at least a finger space between the burr and ear butt. the ear butt muscles need room to move. they cant be pinned down by the burr.

i am sure someone with a lot more experience will jump in here.

6. CW21

CW21 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I looked at that to since I've seen the same tip pointed out on here before but then the ear butt would go over the swell of ther neck and I didn't want to lose some detail there. And it didn't seem right, but I'm far from an expert. The bases are 6" so I thought maybe that has something to do with it also. It's a McKenzie semi sneak with mckenzie ear butts, which I'm not a huge fan of the ear butts.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Clay butts would give you more freedom in this situation.

8. CW21

CW21 New Member

Sounds good, I'll give that a go. I've only done clay butts one other time. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

9. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

You'll never go back to a full plastic ear liner again once you use clay. Start with a ball about the size of a racket ball, that seams to work well for me..

msestak likes this.
  10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2 on the clay ear butts for this situation. You have very little flexibility in cases like yours with pre-formed, fixed ear butts. IMO

msestak likes this.
  11. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

I prep my liners and place them on the form after my antlers are set. I take and make a few divots in the form prior to this and put a piece of plastic over that so the clay won't get stuck in the divots when I remove the ear set. Once I have the proper position and detail I pop them off the form and put them in the freezer. After I have the cape on the form and the face mounted I put the liners in and get them in their original position and use a few T-Pins to hold them in position and sew up my "Y" cut. This way you aren't losing a lot of your detail until you go to mess with them. I tried the ready made casts for ear butts and they limit you too much on your positioning. I also will take and make a small roll of clay around the size of a pencil and put it around the outer edge of the frozen clay so you can get a smooth transition when you start working the butts.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Freezing your clay butts is a good way to go and it is what I was doing.

GWebb, it seems that once the face was mounted that inserting the liners in at that time would be difficult. What is the advantage to doing it that way? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just wanting to learn something new.

13. X2 Tanglewood. I’ve tried freezing the butts and I just make a mess of everything! I’m afraid if I had the face mounted up, I’d just screw it up trying to get the ears in. Please share GWebb, cause I’d sure like to try the freezing method again if I could do it without screwing ever up

14. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

I don't have the face completed done. Just tucking the lips, nose, eyes and getting everything lined up more or less. I then take three T-pins for each eye and put one above the eye, one behind the eye and one in between to keep from messing up the eyes. Does it always stop it? No, I always have to go back and re-work things but it just seems that doing my ear butts this way help me in keeping my clay in the original shape.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

That makes sense. Thanks.

16. Thanks GWebb, I might have to give it another try.