1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt Drying A Hide

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by steewrestler, May 10, 2019.

1. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

I'm in need of some advice, I normally do all of my own tanning at home but a customer wants a soft tanned hide. So in order to send it out I am drying the hide but I cant seem to get it to dry I have been resalting it every day and have a fan on it but it continues to drip. I removed all the read meat as I would any other hide I have never dried one out like this. Any advice on what to do at this point?

2. jk

jk Active Member

if this is a bear or racoon (greasy animal) it may not get rock hard. I have sent these to tannery still somewhat pliable and they have come back fine, no issues.

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

If this is a dumb answer please disregard but you have to scrape off as much salt as possible and then let the hide air dry. As said it does not have to be flint hard before sending to the tannery.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You need the skin inside. If it's outside in a damp cold humid environment, it will not dry. I have an air conditioned and heated skinning room with a dehumidifier in it. All skins are dry enough to ship after 3-4 days.