1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paper Wheel Sharper System

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by pir^2h, May 10, 2019.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have been considering getting this and looking for opinions. I only want it for knives, not scapels (<- not worth the effort in my opinion). I use a combination of knives and scalpels when I am skinning. Anyone use it? What do you think? Is it worth it?

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Been using it for 20 years - love it! it changed the way I fleshed

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use one for my knives and love it - best knife sharpener I’ve ever used. i use it to put a fine edge on my knives. I use a ceramic sharpening rod to keep the edge while working to keep the edge sharp. I use the ceramic rod on my scalpels as well - prolongs life of the blades considerably.

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I use it on my fleshing knives, especially my Sheffield. My Sheffield is never "sharpened", it is only tuned with my paper wheel. All my other knives I use a stone or steel.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It might be a little different for you full service shops as I only used it for fish with my Rapala fillet knives used for carving bodies. Which as you may or may not know dulls knives quickly. I used the Paper Wheel sharpening system for years and it was very quick at sharpening. The only drawbacks I found were it's easy to ruin a good knife on it because you can take off a lot of metal quickly if you're not careful. Adding to that is you have to hold the proper angle yourself (no guide). And, you have to re-grit a fair amount sooner than I originally imagined. I quit using it and went to a "Worksharp" brand power sharpener instead. I like it. It has a built-in angle guide and does much better on the tips than the paper wheel. Probably not an issue for what most you guys would use it for, but mine doubles for cleaning fish to eat as well. And it gets the tips on my fillet knives nice and sharp. Sanding belts of different grits are easily swapped out via a spring loaded belt tensioner. I cannot for the life of me sharpen knives with a stone and this unit solved every issue I had with the paper wheel system and then some. Love it. I think it was like $65 bucks and another $10 for extra belts on Amazon. Paper wheel runs about $40 bucks more than that after you buy the grinder for the wheels. "Worksharp". Might be something to look into. Here's the model I bought. They have a more expensive one too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-W...ife+sharpener&qid=1557611249&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Thanks for the replies folks, and thank you Marty for the link. I may look into that a bit more.

Vic

FishArt likes this.