1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting A Hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by steewrestler, May 11, 2019.

1. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

I'm in need of some advice So in order to send out a hide I am drying the hide but I cant seem to get it to dry I have been resalting it every day and have a fan on it but it continues to drip. I removed all the read meat as I would any other hide but I just cant get it to dry out. Any advice on what to do at this point? Or do I actually need to get it completely dry to send it to a tannery?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Stop adding salt. Salt for a day or two and then shake off the salt and let it dry. Salting it more than a day or two will just continue to draw moisture from the air and keep the hide wet.

I rub a good coat into the hide one day one, lightly coat it with salt day two, shake off all the salt and hang in front of a fan until it starts drying and then I loosely fold it right before the point of being to hard to fold. The fold is loose enough that air can circulate through it.

GWebb and socalmountainman like this.

3. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

4. steewrestler

steewrestler Member

Ah that's where im messing up thank you that makes sense I sure appreciate it I was going crazy