1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted Bear Repair Advice?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by OhDear, May 11, 2019.

1. OhDear

OhDear New Member

Hellos~
    I am looking for advice on the best way to soften hide *on* a mount for repair. This is a full size standing black bear that has a serious cross-body tear (back to front), large amount of missing hide in the front, and a diagonal tear across the face from above the eye down toward the muzzle (same side). This is the bear that made it through hurricane Flo~ and he is meaningful to the community. Photo is from shortly after the storm, bear has since been dried, de-mudded, and stored safely.

I was given a black bear rug to utilize for patching etc. Rug bear is considerably smaller, but in decent shape. What I am hoping to do is to soften the standing bear hide enough to pull it and glue it back onto the form where it has been detached. I can experiment with techniques, but I thought I'd ask the community first~ great minds!

Thank-you!

2. Well typically I wet it down lol. That being said it is going to take some time to fully hydrate the hide. Soak a towel with water and wrap it over the desired area and rewet now and then until the hide becomes pliable. May take a day or two. Do the same for the scrap pieces you are going to use to patch in. Prior to removing the hide from the standing bear trace a template of the areas you are going to be replacing to make the repair easier. I had to do this on a grizzly bear once that was improperly skinned by a guide. If the color doesn't match you can also dye the hair to match.

OhDear likes this.

3. OhDear

OhDear New Member

Thank-you! I'm going to be working on him this weekend- I'll give this a go.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Moisten the area and lay the wet towel (very wet) over the area to be rehydrated, as detailed above, but then you should wrap the area with plastic wrap (Seran wrap, shrink wrap or similar) to hold the towel in place and to keep it from drying out to fast. It will help it rehydrate the skin faster.

I would work on repairing one area at a time using a good hide paste and pinning the pieces of hide back into place with long insect pins.