1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DuckDodger, May 16, 2019.

1. DuckDodger

DuckDodger New Member

I know there are a lot of threads on this product out there, and I'm not intending to start the debate if Krowtann is an actual tan, but I'm looking for help as I'm having issues with slippage on some (not all) hides when using Krowtann. If/when it happens it's usually around the shoulder or chest area.

The hides are all in good condition, and shaved property when they go in. I make sure I follow the label to a "T" however it seems to be crap-shoot on whether slippage occurs or not. The troubleshooting tips on the product suggest over-neutralizing. I've tried to vary time and amount of sodium bicarbonate and does not seem to matter.

Any suggestions (other than go to a "true-tan") would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There could be a lot of different reasons and one is as way say not wanting a debate is this is a common problem with krowtan. I know many that gets great results but just as many with issues.
    If your following directions to a T ,then look into cape issues and it may have been handled prior to you getting it.
    Personally for me nothing better than a soak tan. Like I say : what do tanneries use? I think they know a lot more and do so much more tanning in one year than most do at home. They do soak tans!
    Remember all tans will work in this industry and all have their place as I like doing a garment tan and what it gives me but that doesn't mean yours don't do its job.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

What types of hides and how much solution are you making?

4. DuckDodger

DuckDodger New Member

Cyclone- Problem has been with Whitetail capes. All other mammals have not seen a problem at all.

The solution I make up is 64 oz. salt, 8 oz krowtann, and 2.5 gal of water.

5. DuckDodger

DuckDodger New Member

Frank- thank you for the reply. I do not disagree at all with what you are saying. Just looking for opinions if anyone else experienced the same issues with this product, as I'm puzzled why it slippage occurs in some and not others. I will take your advice on the handling of the capes though- Thanks again.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i been useing it for 12 yr. never had a problem with it. hope you figure it out.

7. cyclone

2.5 gal of water is not enough to float a whitetail cape IMO.. Try making a larger volume in a larger container. If, for instance, you are making this up in a 5 gallon bucket then the cape is too constricted for the solution to reach all parts of the hide evenly. Larger container, larger volume and float the capes...

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have not used krowtann before but is that what the directions say, roughly a pound and half of salt per gallon?

9. cyclone

That's what the directions that I found call for along with the 2.5 gallons of water.

They also still remain insistant about doubling the amount of baking soda if using that instead of sodium bicarbonate. Please read a box of any baking soda, please....it is 100% sodium bicarbonate..o_O

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm no chemist but that seems a tad much. No I haven't got the answer to the question, I'm trying to learn here. From my experience the more salt in a solution the longer it takes for the solution to penetrate the skin, or is that not the actual case and I'm mistaken?

George likes this.
  11. cyclone

Instructions want the fleshed/raw/unsalted hides to go directly into the solution hence the megaload of salt in solution. My beef is with the bicarbonate/baking soda statement. If they can't get that corrected and/or can't consult with a chemist/or at least read a box of baking soda then what other issues do they overlook in their instructions and formulations.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OK, I guess that makes some sense on their part. I also understand your skepticism of them.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I thought I saw or read somewhere that the directions where supposed to be for sodium carbonate and if you use sodium bi-carbonate to use twice as much because it is less harsh than sodium carbonate. Now, I can't find where I read that or in my Krowtann DVD by T.T.U.

14. cyclone

Directly from their website..

George likes this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ya, I didn't read what I posted on their website. Now, I think I actually heard that from either Brian or someone who was quoting him saying it? I know I read or heard it somewhere. I don't use it, so, it wasn't that important to me, but I do remember many years ago somehow hearing or reading it.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I know my chemistry is outdated, but that sounds a whole lot like what I remember as a "super saturated solution" with that much salt in that small amount of water. How can the salt stay dissolved at room temperature or is it "theoretically" being absorbed by the raw hide?