1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure Tanner

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Slogeris, May 16, 2019.

1. Slogeris

Slogeris New Member

I have read alot of the threads on the pressure tanners they mostly say the pressure is not needed that being so if I were to use EZ-100 in my tank and just use the rotating without the pressure would I still need to keep the skins in for the full time of 16-20 hours?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No it would take that long maybe 4-6 hours for a complete tan.
    Sorry late on replies but when all your working from (phone) and it wont let you post here I have to find time to get on a pc to answer.

3. Slogeris

Slogeris New Member

Thank you for your reply I have asked a few other people and they had no clue.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

If you are dealing with Pickled skins or capes already shaved. degreased and washed (if neccesary)! then you should have no problems. Simply rinse them - give them a 30 minute Drain period and whether you use Pressure or Not put them into your Tanning solution in the Auto Tanner for 4 Hours. Just check the pH of the Tanner before you start to be sure it's at a 4.0 - then add the skins or capes and recheck it after 30 minutes to make sure it remains at a 4.0 pH. After 4 hours of Tumbling the skins or Capes they should be tanned. Don't overdo it. More Tanning will only produce leathered skins - which for Taxidermy purposes you don't want. No stretch.

Fallenscale likes this.
  5. Slogeris

Slogeris New Member

Thank you for the reply

6. Wildcat Furs

Wildcat Furs New Member

I still pressurize even though it is not necessarily required, but you do get a better seal on the autotanner.

7. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Hi Wildcat! If you are serious about stating up a Tannery - get used to weighing your skins after pickling them and then placing them in your Pressure Tanner! You need to know what their weight is to be sure you have enough chemicals in the Tanning Bath.

As an example - say you want to tan 3 Shoulder capes of Northern WT Deer. Then I would use the following formula in my Wet Drum (or in your case - Pressure Tanner).
    2 Qts. of Water per 1 Lb. of skin weight
    3 Ozs. of Salt per 1 Lb. of skin weight
    1/2 Oz. of EZ-100 per 1 Lb. of skin weight

If the 3 capes weighed out to 27 Lb. (Total weight) after Pickling and Draining them for 30- 60 minutes, I'd add - 14 Gls. of Water, - 81 Ozs. of Salt (5 Lbs.) and 14 Ozs. of EZ-100. Now adjust your pH level and Tan them all - just like a Tannery tans them in their Wet Tanning Drums. In 4 hours!

I like the way you think - Best of luck with the EZ-100!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    Frank E. Kotula and Fallenscale like this.
  8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

One of the best tans on the market!!!