1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3 Pound Vs. 5 Pound Foam

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by pir^2h, May 18, 2019.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Does one expand more than the other? I am thinking it has to do more with density than expanding but I want to be sure before I order it.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    From my experience it has to do with density only. The higher density foam is much harder to cut or sand. I use the 3 lb for most things just because of it.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

yes the less density expands a lot more than the higher # foams plus it weighs more. So 3 lb will expand more than 5 as 10 will expand less than 5.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Interesting Frank, I did not realize that but, then I've never compared them side by side.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Thanks for the info Frank. That answered my questions!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. If you need a source, let me know. TC-300 from BJB has a range of different densities and they do have a 3-Lb. And yes, the lower you go the lighter the foam as well as the weaker the foam. But because of the light weight, you'll certainly be able to sand it easier.
    The TC-300 gives you about 50 seconds of work time via drill mixing and pouring before it begins to rise.