1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning A Turtle Mount?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by DoonTheGoon, May 19, 2019.

1. DoonTheGoon

DoonTheGoon New Member

Hey there - new to the forum and looking for advice.
    I have a fairly large snapping turtle mount that was a gift from my grandmother. It's been in storage for a while, and so it's rather dusty and dull looking overall. I'm looking for advice on how to clean this turtle without causing any/minimal damage. Dust is the main offender here - it's embedded pretty deep in some of the ridges and folds of skin.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Use a air compressor or you can use a can of air like you clean keyboards with

Tommy

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Picture is really small and can't be seen. Bottle of Windex and a selection of small, stiff bristled artist brushes. Spray a small area and scrub with the brush. Wipe clean with a absorbent towel and repeat in the same area until clean. Do a different spot and continue. Do small areas at a time so you are not soaking the surface. Windex will not damage paints and sprays as long as you do a small area at a time and don't let it sit there and soak. With the brushes you will be able to clean out cracks and small areas easily.