1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Bear Issue

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wesley Peterson, May 20, 2019.

1. Wesley Peterson

Wesley Peterson New Member

I have a Black Bear ready for the tannery. The concern i have, is that one ear is badly damaged. The bear must have gotten into something, ripping his ear.
    Right now it would be repairable but after the dry tanning process, I might be missing the ear. So, looking for some advice.
    1) cut out the ear and tan it myself. then sew back on when i get the bear back
    2) tan the face myself and ship the rest to be tanned
    3) Risk It and send the whole bear to the tannery.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Make tannery aware of issue and ask them to try to avoid any more damage. If it comes back worse look for a replacement ear.

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Not sure where you are located but there are many taxidermists and taxidermy schools that at times have "remnants" of different species just for that reason. Google Old Barn Taxidermy in Iowa. When I was mounting a brown bear I had some missing areas due to a guide skinning it for a rug but was out of town so I went a different route. In any case though he did have leftover hide pieces from previous mounts. He may be able to help you out.