1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Deer Species Is This?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KatieC, May 20, 2019.

1. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I've found myself in a bit of a mess and could use opinions from the experts. A few years back I bought a Chinese water deer cape and teeth from a reputable seller on this site. I never got around to mounting it and have had to start clearing out all my tanned capes due to reactions to the tanning chemicals. I sold this cape and a form last fall to someone who's been a good, honest buyer. This person just mounted up the cape and says it looks more like a roe deer doe than a Chinese water deer. After looking at some reference, I'm not 100% sure but the cape is definitely looking more like a roe deer to me too. I shared photos in the whitetail taxidermy group on Facebook and the consensus there was roe deer. I contacted the original seller and he very emphatically said it was a Chinese water deer. What do you guys think? I'm stuck either doing a refund to my buyer and losing money, or not doing a refund and possibly getting my reputation hurt (or maybe both no matter what I do!). I will do a refund if it's the wrong species, but want to be absolutely sure. I've already wasted so much time on this and it's caused me a huge amount of stress, since I'm sure I'll be losing a chunk of money. Not sure the original seller will make good on this and I'm afraid to get into a disagreement with him. But at least want to verify the species here too. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

From pics I looked at on line, I'd say it looks like a roe buck. The blackish band on the upper muzzle matches the roe deer I saw and the Chinese water deer pics I saw, the dark band on the upper muzzle was absent.

KatieC and aussiesam like this.

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks Tanglewood! The markings on the muzzle and chin have me convinced it's a roe deer too. And everyone who commented on Facebook agrees too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else have any input before I contact the original seller? Wondering where he got it and if someone screwed him over too.

nemo likes this.
  4. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

My input is tell the original seller the truth and be cordial. A lot more can be accomplished this way versus starting an argument right away. Just my 2 cents. Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    KatieC likes this.
  5. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks Rausch, I did actually email him after the buyer first contacted me, hoping he could verify it was a Chinese water deer. The response I got was that no way in hell does it come close to looking like a roe deer and maybe my buyer needs to stop smoking dope and stick to whitetails only. lol! So worried he may not be very receptive to hearing it's really a roe deer and I might end up in a conflict. I also bought it back in 2015 so he may not want to refund me at this point. I'm sure if I'd had time to mount it, I would've noticed something was off too once I started gathering water deer reference.

6. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

Ugh that’s a tough one. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a roe deer. Since the first deal happened so long ago you might be SOL. My guess is that when you prove to him it’s a roe he’s going to say that it’s not the same cape he sold you then. Unfortunately there is most likely no way to prove it. Hopefully you don’t lose to much money over it and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

KatieC likes this.
  7. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks! I spent over $400 for the cape and shipping originally, so unfortunately am out a pretty big chunk of money. :(