1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Building A Taxidermy Tumbler

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SchepC, May 21, 2019.

1. SchepC

SchepC New Member

I was curious has anyone built a tumbler by using a 55 gallon plastic barrel and a motor from a dryer. I currently use an old dryer with a lot of towels in it to dry my hides but they never seem to dry very much. I was wanting to build a tumbler with a 55 gallon barrel so I can use saw dust to dry hides.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I made one using a plastic drum, 2 x 4's, the dryer motor, and a series of pulleys (belt driven) to reduce the speed. I scavenged most of it. I cut the door out and put it on hinges sealing the edge with material from the bottom of a garage door. It didn't cost me more than $25.00! And maybe three to four hours of my time. Beat the heck out of paying over a grand plus shipping for new one.

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

Saw a guy that put Gorilla tape over the holes and used sawdust or my choice has been corn cob grit and said it worked great for him.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I can text or email you photos of mine. It's made from a 55 gallon metal drum. I refuse to go through the misery of posting pictures here. My phone number is 601-513-4813 or email [email protected]

6. I built one several years ago using a blower motor and a series of pulleys to reduce the speed. The large white pulley attached to the drum is three pieces of sandwiched plywood. I built it off the ground so this old man didn't have to bend over to use it.

Attached Files: