1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Male Or Female

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Lance.G, May 23, 2019.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

6AD84D20-D5FA-4064-BCBB-C7352866C143.jpeg I caught this wild brown 2 weeks ago. I didn’t get a good look at the vent. I’m am curious if it’s a male or female. I thought late spring male but I’m not 100%. The fish was 19”. What do y’all think?

2. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

600px-Mars-male-symbol-pseudo-3D-blue.svg.png

Lance.G and Bill Dishman like this.

3. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Member

No doubt it’s a male

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

hmm these days its safer to say transgender

5. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

...or pansexual?:rolleyes:

Perhaps, "Identifies as..."?:D

6. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did you know you're supposed to be able to tell by the anal fin when they are as small as 4 inches according to an old text I have?
    Outside edge of male fin convex (
    Outside eve of female fin concave )

Also says so at a another source I found on the Internet with the following picture. Male on the left female on the right.

[​IMG]

I've seen this in two sources now. Unfortunately I forget to verify it with my own fish.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

Very cool info. Thanks Cecil

9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Maybe he identifies as a female lake trout?

Sotired likes this.
  10. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

Yes, and is cross-dressing :p

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Did you guys know some male bluegills mimic females in appearance at spawning time to sneak in and quickly fertilize the females eggs? Allegedly the dominant large male thinks it's another female and is taken off guard. They are know as sneaker males etc.

ABSTRACT Male bluegill sunfish are shown to have two alternative mating strategies: cuckoldry or parental care.Cuckolder males first mature at age2.They followa develop- mental sequence of sneaking and then mimicking female be- havior to deceptively gain access to spawnings.Males who become parentals(constructnests,attractfemales,providebroodcare) delaymaturation until age 7.The parental investment of the se males is parasitized by the cuckolders.This system is an exam ple of a truly parasiticaly dependent mating strategy in vertebrates. A natural selection model is developed to predict the equilibrium frequencies of the two male types. A prelimi-nary test of the model provides qualitative agreement.

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/77/11/6937.full.pdf

One source I read says bluegill courtship is one of the most complex among vertebrates and they are all kinds of sounds under water.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    Perca, Lance.G and Sotired like this.
  12. I guess there's sneaker males in every species ,some guys will do anything to get them females,lol.

Cecil likes this.
  13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

And folks now see transgender is in nature as well hmmmm makes you think a bit more

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief transgender animals are not that uncommon in nature. Two penguins at a zoo were thought to be male and female since they copulated, and it turned out when they had a physical they were both males. Two female birds have been know to sit on eggs that have never been fertilized.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:45 PM