1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Safety Solvent

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by WLELTD, May 23, 2019.

1. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

if you use this stuff and like it keep using it, but water with dawn is way better and cheaoer

stuffit44 and Sotired like this.
  2. Or rubbing alcohol will work

3bears and Sotired like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

lets me explain a bit here on why we should use 90% rubbing alcohol or saftee solvent.
    The biggest reason you shouldn't use water and dawn is : your hydrating the skin and in time enough and you may not see it at once is cracking of the skin to where you epoxied. Ive seen it time and time again using pure water can cause these issues.
    Thanks for that info but doing this way to long has taught me and many others why we don't use water to thin it on our fish.
    It's JMO only and a few others

John C and 3bears like this.
  4. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Frank, this is repoduction work,but still would use it on a skin to blend , not soaking it tell it hydrates

5. Doe not take much water to re hydrate fish skin. I used water with it for several years, made the switch to solvent and it works so much better.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Using the right product for the right job usually pays off in the long run. We buy safety solvent in pint sized quantities, and it will last us 4-6 months. And, it's safe! It's not abrasive to my fingertips like alcohol. A little goes a very long way.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well if you stated first it was reproduction fish then I would still answer the same for if you haven’t tried rubbing alcohol or complaining about the price of saftee solvent, any knowable person would see the difference in using them.
    Also like John stated it does take much to hydrate a skin enough to make it shrink to cause a crack. You may not see it in a month or two but it happens and I’ve seen it and don’t want it anymore cause I hate to do repairs.
    Plus I charge enough to cover the cost of a few daps of alcohol on my fingers or even saftee solvent. You just might have to raise your price .50 to cover the cost of these products. JMO

FishArt likes this.
  8. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

if you think safty solvent is safe take a drink of it

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'm not drinking it, but there is no skull & crossbones on the bottle!

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how cost even comes into play here??? You're probably talking an extra $5 bucks a year to go with Safety Solvent (if that). And as far as safety goes, I understand Safety Solvent isn't quite as safe as it sounds. However, if you're using bare hands your epoxies will get you long before the SS does thru allergic reactions.

Lance.G, Frank E. Kotula and joeym like this.