1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Keep Mid Air Taxidermy Stable?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ForFoxSake, May 23, 2019.

1. ForFoxSake

ForFoxSake New Member

I have a few personal projects that I'd like to do mid air. I saw someone else recently on here that had a small cat sitting on a branch, and the entire mount was held up by the tail hanging down to a base. This is similar to what I'd like to do, or possibly in a leaping pose similar to these:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...DiAhURcCsKHXYCD_0QMwiYAShGMEY&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...HMBHblmBY84ZBAzKBwwHHoECAEQHQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

How do I stabilise them securely to the base? How would I make an animals tail strong enough to support the rest of the mount? Or attach an animal to animal in the case of predators catching prey etc?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Square tubing, a welder, and some nuts,bolts and washers.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

The support isn't just the tail. You'll need to run the support all the way into the body. Carve out a trough with a paddle bit, bend your support to match the trough and the tail part needs to be bent as it will be when the mount is finished. Foam in the support and mount. You can use all thread, square tubing whatever you want. Just takes foresight and understanding of physics and anatomy.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If I'm not mistaken Dennis Harris sells a video on how to do this.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

As large a Square rod must be inserted up the appendage (leg, arm, tail etc) as is possible. It then must continue through the length of main body. The rod will have to be bent or cut and welded into the correct shape to conform with the body as it runs up the appendage and through the form. This gives strength to hold the mannequin up. A portion of the square rod is left extended from the appendage to attach it to the base. The base has square tubing affixed to it that corresponds to the square rod extending from the form. When done, the mount is secured in place by inserting the square rod into the square tubing. These must be sized to fit snuggly. All-thread rod can be used as well if you ant to secure the form to the base with nuts and washers to the bolt threads of the all-thread rods.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Use 1 inch thin wall square tubing. 3/4 solid square stock will fit inside it for detachable connections.