1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist Charged In Australia

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by magicmick, May 25, 2019.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    A friend of mine was charged with "trafficking" in wildlife for selling bones on Ebay. I dont mean endangered stuff, I mean just junk like old rotted deer skulls, jaw bones, etc! I know because I gave him some of it. Just pure trashy junk. Then one morning before day light he heard someone beating on the door and his whole place was surrounded with game wardens, and to quote him..."like I was running a meth lab"! Scared the hell out of his wife!

Well he was charged but the judge threw out the case immediately! The [email protected] said (probably bluffing) that they would charge him in federal court because he had sold across state lines! My friend wanted to fight it all the way but because (and heres the kicker) he was actually IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, his superiors told him to just make it go away! Wound up costing him 5 grand with lawyer fees! He had sold a total of $250 of dried bones on EBAY

Now,,,the rest of the story: He was told that if he wanted to continue doing it all he had to do was alter the skulls some how so they would classify as "ART" and they would be perfectly legal! So long story short.....the only difference between being an honest citizen and a felon was ^%$#ing camo dipping or tying a feather to a piece of bone!! WTH!!!

No wonder people feel like the [email protected] in many states is the most abusive agency out there!!

rogerswildlife, Audra and msestak like this.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ron B, that is exactly what I would expect from any entity that is government related.

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

You can’t sell waterfowl, nests or eggs but if it’s for fly tying it’s legal.

John C likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    i thought only farm / Pen raised waterfowl and their parts could be sold...wild waterfowl is a NO-NO

rogerswildlife likes this.
  5. The law is the law Ron,I don"t have any sympathy for him.

6. Ron B

Alabama
    Well I am loaded with sympathy for people who's lives and careers are negatively affected by nonsensical laws that are enforced by bullies! In fact...at one point in our history we took that concept and created the greatest, most free country in human history! My friend did absolutely nothing wrong or immoral and when a childish technicality means that a citizen loses thousands of dollars and has a potential career ending charge on his record that is evil! And like I said...even the judge thought so and threw the case out! My friend was bluffed by bullies....perhaps simply because he was in law enforcement himself....I dont know!
    As for "the law is the law'.....straight out of Nuremburg!! Its why we must always strive to have decent, honest, and "compassionate" judges and jury's and lawmakers! To make sure that the concept of "the law is the law" is never allowed to give rise to tyranny of our citizens!

7. msestak

Erie, PA
    at one time here in PA, you were not allowed to pick up shed antlers. that got changed when a politicians relative got fined for doing that.

some laws are just plain dumb.

8. LMAO I was referring to my post RON

9. NO I went through this with a company called Wapsi. They buy and sell parts of ducks from all over the world. I said it was illegal. They claimed I was wrong. Sure enough I was wrong. Federal Warden was in town to check their paper work one day and I was allowed to watch. Now as a taxidermist I cannot sell one stinking water fowl feather. But if I am a Dr or lawyer or some rich fly fisherman I can deal almost any feather group. even from some song birds. its fine to tie flies... I have even seen certain polar fur allowed. I have a piece of polar bear, I cant do anything with it, but I can sell it to tie flies with.

msestak likes this.
  10. Ron B

Alabama
    I.m an American.....you have to make yourself very clear!;) But with that said, then I agree with you!!

11. Yes i was having a shocker Ron all good mate.

12. msestak

Erie, PA
    i dont know what a shocker is in Australia but here in America it can mean something entirely different and not something you would admit too :)

Ron B likes this.
  13. Ron B

Alabama
    does that mean you were drinking?

14. Yep it's the cold weather ;)