1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unprofessional Professiona.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 26, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Letter to Henry.jpg

2. George

The image above is a copy of a letter sent by the Taxidermy Hall of Fame to one of the most gentle, talented, gracious individuals that has ever graced our industry. It is inconceivable to me that such a haphazard, half-assed notification would ever be generated in the first place. I know damned well that they had typewriters back in 1990. I don't want to read anything else into that letter, but I couldn't help but think that those blotches in the ink were from Henry's tears having just opened that thing.

Rest in Peace Henry, your legacy will live much longer than the HOF.

msestak and magicmick like this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I understand what you are saying George however, a handwritten note is my opinion much more personal than on say one generated on a typewritter or word document. Maybe that is why it is hand written? Possibly?

4. George

I'm never going to buy into that excuse. If you read the very first 5 words carefully, I doubt you will either. Can you imagine a wedding invitation scrawled haphazardly across a sheet of letterhead bond paper? How about an invite to a state dinner? This was intended to be a group that represented the very pinnacle of success in this industry. This wasn't a "thank you" note. "THIS IS A FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT". Pitiful.

msestak likes this.
  5. pir^2h

Out of curiousity George, why are you bringing this up twenty-nine years later? Most everyone knows who this gentlemen is. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame. What does it matter today?

6. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Wow, a lot to do about nothing. Maybe his typewriter broke or he was out of ribbon when the author penned it. The content of the letter is what was important and that was expressed fine enough. The way I read it the author Luther seemed to know Henry well enough to give him a handwritten letter inviting him and congratulating him, which in my mind becomes more personal. I can easily imagine telling a good acquaintance or friend something like this in the same manner: handwritten. After all, its not a Government mandate nor a required official protocol here. Congratulations to Henry as he truly deserved it for sure.

msestak likes this.
  7. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Mr. p-i-r-(upside down) "v" 2h,

What kind of a name is p-i-r-upside down-v 2h, anyway? Is that some kind of secret code or is it just your way to hide your real identity, or perhaps lend an aura of mystery about your persona? You apparently don’t want anyone to know your identity, so that makes your opinion, like your keystrokes, worthless.

George,

You can't fix stupid can you?

James Marsico likes this.
  8. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    "...The content of the letter is what was important and that was expressed fine enough."(Quote.)

Mr. AZ squiggle Rich,
    You're another illiterate one if you think that was a fine letter. Where is the return address in case Henry wanted to "inform" the writer that he wouldn't be attending. You know, the convention in Biloxi being held at the awards banquet in some undesignated hotel somewhere in Biloxi. And where does it say that the H of F will be paying for travel and lodging for the honoree?

You Sir, don't know the first thing about that old NTA Hall of Fame. I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G. It was a private corporation totally separate from the National Taxidermists Association, and was the private property of a handful of con-men who traded on the honor of accomplished taxidermists to collect money and donated artifacts for personal gain. It was no honor to be on their list. If you want more facts, call Mike Oropollo. He's been the NTA's attorney of record for years as well as a principle in the new incarnation of the old hall of fame, now called Taxidermy Hall of Fame. I'm sure he'll be glad to bring you up to date.

9. pir^2h

Joe,
    Lots of people on here know who I am. It is no secret code for anything. However, I will explain it so even you can understand.

pir^2h is the formula used to find the volume of a cylinder.
    pi: 3.141525926...
    r^2: radius squared (radius raised to the second power, also in case you don't know, the radius is half of the diameter of a circle, the center point of a circle to the edge of same circle)
    h: height

Thus, 3.141539 * radius squared * height = volume of a cylinder.

And by the way, I am a math teacher.
    My name is Victor Burk and I teach at Science Hill High School in Johson City, Tennessee. Does that satisfy you that this is not some secret code and I am trying to hide my identity? If you need more information, please let me know.

1fish2fish, AFTHUNT, msestak and 6 others like this.
  10. pir^2h

And the "upside down v" is on your keyboard. It is the shift of the number 6. It is also on calculators.

AFTHUNT, msestak, Sotired and 3 others like this.
  11. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Pleased to know you Mr. Burk,

You certainly have mastered the skills of teaching, the way you patiently explained what your ID represented. While the volume of a cylinder has no application in taxidermy, still no reason a guy can’t use the formula for a handle here.

At any rate, the letter appears to have been written with a fountain pen, which accounts nicely for those two smudges. While the author’s cursive was decent, those two smudges are unacceptable in a letter to one he is presumed to respect and is inviting to receive an honor. He wasn’t willing or smart enough to write it over, so little importance did he place on communicating with Henry at all. Sloppy, careless, sordid and shameful is how the whole H of F management did things. The bottom line is - If I had received that letter the way it is, I would have been insulted. Incidentally, I can find no evidence that Mr. Inchumuk ever received an actual physical award.

msestak likes this.
  12. pir^2h

Mr. Kish,

I do agree in part with your latest response. If that letter was written and sent with the smudges that was pitiful. But, we don't really know for sure where they came from. It looks to me like drops of water was spilled (?) onto it. Then again, it could have been a leaky fountain pen.

I have no knowledge about the Hall of Fame so I will take you at your word that it was poorly run. I did learn something new though, I always thought the Hall of Fame was part of the NTA! I should say, I assumed it was. Learn something new every day!

Vic

msestak likes this.
  13. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

It's raining out I love that sound

msestak likes this.
  14. George

Victor, I brought it up because I just found it. I think Henry kept the letter as a heartbreak reminder. He was hurt many times over the years by his treatment within the industry. I talked with him about a year before he died. Henry kept everything to himself and never said a bad word about anything. He shared anything he knew with anyone who asked. Sadly I doubt a dozen people on here knew who he was or how he changed the industry. This letter may be dated, but the facts remain today with apathy (as demonstrated here) being the rule. Taxidermy began as a closed door entity. J.W.Ellwood changed it and showed there were no "secrets" involved. Guys like Bruchac and Kish pushed those advances and during the 80s and 90s. Taxidermy became an open book. Suddenly I the 90s that attitude died. Everything that could be written had already been written, converted to video, and available worldwide. Suppliers made incredibly lifelike forms for every specimen know to man so that neophytes turn out quality work. And just as quickly, we're going back to closed shopping. A once burgeoning Taxidermy Net was overflowing with information. Now its sale items or politics. There's little hope this industry will ever be taken seriously. We go to banquets in Jean's and baseball caps. Nothing's changed in hundreds of years: the unprofessional proffessionals.

15. Yes George it is defiantly a Blue collar industry

16. pir^2h

George, thanks for that explanation. Obviously I never met Mr. Inchumuk but I knew of him and figured most who have been in this profession, whether professional or hobbyist (myself) also was aware of his contributions to our profession.

I completely agree with your assessment about this site. Fortunately we have the archieves and the few (such as yourself) who are willing to share their knowledge freely for the betterment of the industry. You have no idea how much you have helped me without even knowing it through your posts and responses for information from numerous members. For that, I thank you on behalf of all members and myself who have learned from you over the years.

Vic