1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who Declares "burnout" Official Malady.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 28, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The World Health Organization has defined and decided that "burnout" is a legitimate affliction.

“Burnout is a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed,” WHO stated on Tuesday. “Burnout refers specifically to phenomena in the occupational context and should not be applied to describe experiences in other areas of life.”

msestak likes this.
  2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

WHO cares. :) :) :)

Kerby...

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Kerby , You will when it hits you. It's a slow disease , kind of like cancer. It starts with dreading the season starting , hating the customers, not listening when they tell you another hunting story . Only taking in new work this season because you need the deposits , you don't really want the work though. Not wanting to go in the shop, washing your truck instead of being in the shop. If your in one of those areas where "you can't get that price in your area ", that speeds up the process, no living wage ,the wife is unhappy , unless she has as good job with benefits and that allows you to be a taxidermist. To many taxidermists in your area , all part time , the volume in your area being sub divide'ed up into infinity. Your last two UPS drivers ,(union wages and bennie's ), now taxidermists , on the side. They loved delivering those McKenzie boxes and seeing all your work and all the money you were making , plus you can hunt and fish anytime you want. Your a free man, no bosses , except the customers or clients . As George said in a recent post, "a unprofessional profession " at best !

4. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Well if burnout is now considered a real disease then I wonder if i can go on disability? Because i am eat up with it!!:(:mad:

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I dunno Richard. I took Kerby's post as a creative play on words.

6. I think "burnout affliction" only comes when you don't have a boss around to put their foot up your ass to get you back to work lol

7. Richard C

I took Kerby's post as denial of his potential burnout or he is cutting a fat hog on his taxidermy journey and don't care about those that have the disease.
    I had two local taxidermists that were friends do away with themselves , one hung himself in his closet one July and they didn't find him for over a week ,maggot infested , the other went out and sat in his homing pigeon coup and ate the barrel of his twelve . His jack of all trades friend who scab'ed bird taxidermy on the side found a piece of his skull and keep it for a souvenir .

FishArt likes this.
  8. Richard C

Ron
    With a good Doctor and a good Jewish lawyer I think you would win your case.
    Save all these posts for your hearing and trial !

9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Seems like it’s part of life no matter what your vocation is. I spent 28 years as a contract fleet mechanic working on Ma Bells trucks and aerial equipment. I had 55 trucks I maintained, rebuilt and whatever was needed done. The worst part was all the computer work that had to be done. I did not realize just how much I was doing until I had a knee replacement and was off for 6 weeks. When I came back to work I was overwhelmed.
    I had a fall at work that required a spine fusion and a knee surgery. Best thing that had ever happened to me.
    I was working for Penske and they didn’t want me back after that. I was free and never happier.
    They replaced me with two mechanics that were struggling to keep up with the work load.

10. FishArt

I would consider myself to have been "burned out" before a few times. But, I would quantify things for me as not due to stress, but boredom! Not a lot of challenges in any profession if you're doing the same thing over and over again. Some can do it, I have trouble. But, that might be an ADHD thing for me!

Jon S likes this.
  11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Seriously, it was just a joke. I am sorry it flew over your head. Fish Art caught it. LOL

:)

Kerby...

FishArt likes this.
  12. Richard C

Dave
    Hope your doing good , the spine and knee issues are tough to get through.
    The good part was in your real job you had a living wage (maybe union ) and medical and a pension potential. In taxidermy you have none of that unless your wife has a good job with all those benefits.
    But in taxidermy you are competing price wise with all the part timers and others just scabbing a job here and there,
    almost all unlicensed . In my area the following did taxidermy on the side, close by , a mailman , UPS driver , clerk of courts in Boston , barber, undertaker, fireman, clam dealer, and others. They mostly scabbed bird taxidermy , low supply costs ,quick cash money .
    A few months ago I saw a Boone and Crocked Whitetail done by the fireman that was a train wreck , The head was DP'ed and cracked from a hole to tea kettle. No correct anatomy at all . The owner didn't have a clue, he said "it has a few cracks " .
    The hunters don't even care about their "trophy", the wife's don't even want them in "their" house , as I was told by a Doctor's wife as I was delivering a large Quebec Caribou.
    The Doctor got away from the "B" he lucked out and died.
    He came from Goa and would go home to visit and come back with big Sambar Deer antlers.

13. George

I dont think you've been a taxidermist long enough. My customers always had their foot up my ass... until it was time to pick up their work. I suspect our industry has almost as many suicides as cops.

rigbobby, Ron B and 3bears like this.
  14. George

Then mount a duck or two. Perhaps a beaver or possum. That'll cure your boredom.

rigbobby, FishArt and 3bears like this.
  15. Over 30 years until I got a good paying non taxidermy job so I didnt shoot myself like Richards friends.

You can fire your customers they are not a real boss.

I am not saying there is not such a thing as burnout, but I wonder what happens in the big shops when their employees get "burnout"
    I think taxidermist love what they do and sometimes hang on to it too long, or they can't adapt to changing taxidermy market place and they get a form of burnout . I use to get burnout , but it was from boredom or laziness I think.

Richard C likes this.
  16. FishArt

Nah, that would only be temporary relief. I'm fine going fishing instead of playing with fish now George! I just do replicas now and love the flexibility, all mail order so not much customer interaction and limited numbers. Just got my fishing kayak delivered Sunday. Waiting for better weather to test it out. Gotta love the lake life!

George likes this.
  17. But is it better to burn out or fade away

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have been out of my shop for a year and a half, I believe, and I'm still burned out.

SteveM likes this.
  19. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I would sue my boss but I couldn't get anything out of him!! He's a taxidermist!!

magicmick likes this.
  20. What is burnout anyway? I think most on here use the term too often, and it is when they get lazy or bored and don't have a boss around. As far as stress in taxidermy. I think the only real stress comes from not making enough money in this profession like Richard has been saying. That was the only stress I had. I get more stress now from my other job, but it is not money related.
    I had a taxidermist friend that one day called me up and said he was sick of taxidermy and couldn't do another thing. I ended up finishing all of his customer mounts secretly to them. He literally wouldn't touch another mount and quit taxidermy. I think the term "burned out" applied to him. I think his burnout was over not making enough money. He ended up getting a good job for the school system.
    So if you are making enough money in taxidermy to survive and put some money away, or have a spouse that supports you, I doubt you are burned out. You just need a break from the job. If you are working you arse off and still not paying all your bills, or putting money away with health ins. You are headed for a burn out. JMO

Richard C likes this.