1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who Declares "burnout" Official Malady.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 28, 2019.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I think one thing that has really hurt me is having the business at my home. You can just never get away from it. People show up or call at all times. Just had a call tonight after 9pm trying to get me to mount a &^%^8 bass!!! Turned it down of course! I do 12 hours in the shop, walk out to finally do something besides &^%$ with a deer head and as soon as I am 10 feet from the shop some one drives up, and assuming I could take weekends off thats when every one comes to get their stuff and I have to be here to get payed! its like your trapped! But what else am I going to do.....get a job?:rolleyes:

2. Walk around in your birth day suit Ron,that will keep everyone away;)

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I had that problem when I had my electronics repair shop (it was in my converted four car garage). I put up a gate with a closed sign and it took care of most of it but I still had some walk around it to my door. They almost started with, "I hate to bother a man when they are closed but....." In the beginning I dealt with it because I was building my business but it got old real fast. When I finally closed my shop eighteen years later it was a real relief when I could just say, "Sorry, we are closed and not accepting repair work any longer." Then I had people drive up and say, "Did you know your phone is out of order?" It almost a joy to say, "It isn't out of order, I went out of business." Of course that didn't stop them from wanting me to fix their item, which I declined. That went on for years!

Ron B likes this.
  4. Never fails. 2 bites of supper and somebodies pulling up!!

Ron B likes this.
  5. Ron B

Alabama
    Well....put in 15 hours today......where's my disability check?:mad::mad::mad::mad:

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

So, I watched a Youtube video with Emily Graslie titled "Is Taxidermy Art". In the video, she interviews various taxidermists at the Worlds to get their take on taxidermy as art. It made me want to do a taxidermy project. So, I took one of my parakeets out of the freezer and planned to start my project in the morning. Since I was out there, I put the movie Tombstone on and began to get everything I needed ready. About 10 minutes into it, I started watching the movie instead of getting everything ready. At 15 minutes, I put the bird back in the freezer and watched the rest of Tombstone and then A Few Good Men and called it an evening. Just wasn't enough inspiration to get it flowing. Maybe next weekend I can get a quail out and watch Kill Bill Volume Two and put the quail back in the freezer before she spills any blood.

George likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Well, I probably qualify. Had someone call me the other day about a turkey...said they had been in Shane Smith's shop and it looked like a museum. I told the guy "my shop isn't a museum...matter of fact, you might want to stop and get a tetanus shop on the way over!"

8. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Burnout? It's doesn't effected me much as long as I take my medicine.. I've only been full time since 1970 so I am still learning. I only visit tax.net once every year or so now and not reading posts from liberals and other non friends and such on here has helped my stress level alot.

Bryan Russell likes this.
  9. Ron B

Alabama
    Believe it or not, I actually come on here to relax and forget about taxidermy! Nothing soothes the soul like mocking libtards!! But every now and then some smarty pants like George post something taxidermy related that I have to comment on, and then my evening is ruined!!:mad::mad:

magicmick likes this.
  10. James Marsico

M
    Me to. I think I'll start on a deer foot ash tray that was paid in full a year ago. Ha ha ha.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Be careful with that one, Jim. He may have quit smoking by now.

FishArt likes this.
  12. James Marsico

Yesterday I figured I would work on my price list. I started by checking out some fellow taxidermist web sites and prices. I was so discouraged seeing such low pricing from really good taxidermists. I guess this business will never change. After all these years it seems that taxidermists are still the worst business persons on the planet. It gave me a dose of discouragement for sure. If you go to a taxidermy convention you see such outstanding work that folks spent a lot of money and time on. You visit shops and you can see they are overwhelmed with work to be done. Look at the prices and it's the same b s. Low and cheap. I hear of fellow taxidermists dropping dead in their early 60s from heart attacks or strokes or they are getting devorces I highly suspect that in many cases that it is this taxidermy business and its general mindset and money pit that had a major role killing them or ruining their families and/ or maxed out their credit cards. sad.. . oh well. It is what is and i suspect always will be. I am thinking that lot of talented taxidermists should burnout and do something else for a living before they totally run out of money, health and time.

Richard C likes this.
  13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A good retirement check subsidizes my taxidermy business! If I depended on it for a living, I'd be in the poor house. My youngest son is my partner. His income is derived solely from taxidermy. As long as we make enough to keep him going, I'm OK. We are the highest priced in our market area.

James Marsico likes this.
  14. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Dang what a discouraging thread.. And I always thought that full time fishing guides were the most miserable folks that I knew...
    I was thinking of retiring from my full time job at the refinery in 6 years(at 60)and giving taxidermy a go again "full time" but this thread has me COMPLETELY rethinking that...
    Living on the coast my entire life I happen to know a lot of full time fishing guides.. Listening to them talk sounds EXACTLY like this thread reads.. They are miserable, burned out and hate their jobs... Being on the coast we have 5 state game wardens. I know them all as well... They also would fit in perfectly with this conversation... They hate their jobs.. They are over worked and under payed especially now they are pulling "boarder duty" and being shot at by the drug cartels...
    Not to even mention us career shift workers.. That s a entirely different ball of screwed up wax..
    Too blame any profession on causing a person to commit suicide is a tough one.. A long shot.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Lance.G, Ron B and Glenn M like this.
  15. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Tim Buck
    Your from Texas, that's taxidermy utopia country along with the mountain states. If the taxidermists on both coasts weren't so dumb they would all move to Texas or the Rocky Mountain states. I should have done it 50 years ago but was too dumb and lazy.
    I think in certain geographical locations taxidermy will go the way of the buggy whip business or It will go underground like the crack dealers in the old days unless the politicians take over all the licenses like they did with all the marijuana licenses in this area. Now they are making a fortune , i think when you add up all the taxes on it here it comes to 20 %. Those politicians are in for a surprise when
    they realize that they can't get those prices for the taxidermy product plus taxes in their area ! With the anti's and the new gun laws , soon as the progressive dems take over it's underground we go. This Trump thing is only the calm before the storm ! Enjoy it !

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    TIMBUCK likes this.
  16. Ron B

Alabama
    I think if you love to hunt and fish you should not get a job in the hunting industry! It just seems to back fire on ya!!

TIMBUCK likes this.
  17. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    If you're suffering from burnout and it's not from depression and you don't know how to cure it, try researching the subject of goal setting and how to achieve them. There is a mountain of motivational literature out there if you want to know the secret of success. It's all out in plain sight. Here's a very short poem that tells it in a nutshell.

I bargained with Life for a penny,

And Life would pay no more,
    However I begged at evening
    When I counted my scanty store;
    For Life is a just employer,
    He gives you what you ask,
    But once you have set the wages,
    Why, you must bear the task.
    I worked for a menial’s hire,
    Only to learn, dismayed,
    That any wage I had asked of Life,
    Life would have paid.

Jessie Belle Rittenhouse

Those who do not get what it is they want from taxidermy, would be wise to do something else. And I would also suggest that you do it as soon as practicable.