1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Questions About Mounting Rats?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Nickel, May 29, 2019.

1. Nickel

Nickel New Member

So I am fairly new to taxidermy. I've tanned hides from squirrels and small critters in the past but have never tried mounting anything til recently. Just got my first practice rat mount done a while ago, but I noticed the feet shrink up and turn a beef jerky lookin' color. The tail and nose also discolor after it's all set and dry. Any ideas on how to make the pink parts stay looking nice and alive? I'm thinking this sort of thing could be beyond my current skill level and I'll probably be better off switching to working with squirrels for practice.
    Also, if anyone has some good book suggestions on how to build wrapped mount forms (for small mammals or squirrels), that would be much appreciated.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Remove the meat and bones in the hand and feet and fill with Apoxie Sculpt.

Remove tail bone and tissue within and fill with Apoxie sculpt.

Split and turn the nose and remove the nose cartilage. Use clay or Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the nose area.

Purchase the wrapped body DVDs by Jerome ( snowhare) from Kasaway.com and go to the wrapped bodies only part of this section.

magicmick and Nickel like this.