1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bones Turned Purple?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by LilyDay, May 30, 2019.

1. LilyDay

LilyDay New Member

Ok, here's a bit of a weird one. I've put two bones in a hydrogen peroxide mix (50% water and 50% 6%concentration, hydrogen peroxide) and my small vertebrae was fine, the other started to go a lilac colour. IMG_20190530_211435.jpg

The other bone
    (the one that started to go lilac in places) is a rather long, hollow bone.

I found both of these bones about a month ago. Both were washed up very clean, on the beach. I gave them both a good three washes in tap water.

IMG_20190530_211510.jpg

I'm not bothered by this odd change of colour (which has already begun to fade). Yet I'm very curious as to how it got there. A reaction with any leftover sea salt? Contamination in the solution?

To be honest, I really don't know...

And that bugs me, a lot.

So, any theories or suggestions folks?

IMG_20190530_211502.jpg

2. LilyDay

LilyDay New Member

Here's another image:
    IMG_20190530_211523.jpg

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A reaction with something. What kind of peroxide are you using? If it is 6%, don't dilute it. It's pretty weak at that. I would use it full strength. There have been a few instances of commercial peroxide turning things odd pastel colors. I have had things go an odd pink which could be the same color you are seeing. It seems the commercial stuff has stabilizers in it which does this. If you soak it in peroxide undiluted it might help to lighten it. Peroxide for cuts, which is a weaker 3%, doesn't have the stabilizers in it and may also lighten it. Letting it set out and dry will also lighten that color. If you search for "Pink Skulls" you might bring up some of the threads on it.

4. LilyDay

LilyDay New Member

Yes, it is a 6% solution. I'll try not diluting it then. Thanks for the quick reply!