1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Bone Measurement Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nana65, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Nana65

Nana65 New Member

Howdy - I see lots of reference to turkey wing and leg bone measurements for use along with weight in choosing proper form size. What part of the wing and what part of the leg bone? Before or after removal of ball? Still going on the first of my practice turkeys and the form is way too big.....gonna take it apart and start again. Also ordered a bunch of different sizes and brands of forms to see what works best for me.....start up costs that will hopefully pay dividends in the future.

Thanks.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    How big of a bird? Do you have the carcass? I have just recently went to making my own bird forms, similar to how I do fish forms. Trace and measure the carcass and carve out of foam. The form fits every time. Granted bird bodies aren't that expensive but it forces me to pay attention to anatomy details and not rely on someone else's idea of what it should look like.

3. Nana65

Nana65 New Member

That is something that I would find interesting, but while I am getting started I think the purchased bodies are a better idea for me. I got some help from the folks at Boondocks and feel better about moving forward.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.