1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Alter A Foam Form For A Sitting Fox?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Redfox23, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Redfox23

Redfox23 New Member

Hello,
    I wanted to mount my first red fox life size mount after I already mounted a few smaller animals such as weasels. I have a wet tanned pelt I wanted to pull over a foam form I had ordered, I'm just a bit puzzled now: What do I need to alter here so I can turn over the legs?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

There is a tutorial by Old Terry on this very subject in the tutorial section but it appears the pictures have been lost over time. The answer requires a lot of explanation and it will vary somewhat depending on how the skin was cut (dorsal, ventral or case). Relief cuts - deep incisions or grooves 1/4” wide - need to be made between the leg and body of the form to tuck excess folds of skin into. The skin is placed over the main body of the form, then the leg is inserted into the leg skin. If you cannot reach the area of the leg to set the screws in to attach it to the body through the incision you already have, then you will need to cut a small hole in the skin just over the hip/shoulder area just large enough to get a drill tip through and insert the screws attaching the leg to the form. Adjust the hide and sew up the hole. I’m sure there are other tutorials or videos out there that can walkmyou through the process better than I have explained here. Good luck!