1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Carcass Casting Project

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by HondaXR250, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pretty much it. There was a hole where the end of the neck opened to the outside of the mold. A large quantity of it exited that hole too. Waited till it set up and then pried the mold apart. I used Vaseline as a mold release but an error was in using the home spray can stuff. It doesn't seem to age well and it is not very sturdy. If you are going to do a good job, use the right foam.

2. What foam should I use? Sorry I'm new to this and don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone that has done carcass casting recently can chime in and tell what brands they use. The taxidermy catalogs offer supplies and there are sites like this one too. https://www.polytek.com/application/taxidermy

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Freeze into the position you want , use the sand method or playing cards method and then mix bondo and pour on sections, better then plaster, put back in freezer and let it set back up put vaseline as a separater and pour more bondo, if you do it correctly you don’t have to cut anything off

5. My avatar was done the way George described only I inserted wires thru the spine and each leg then froze the fox whole after posing on a foam replica of the tree limb. Sawed off each leg and made two piece plaster molds. Did the same thing with the body and head. I posted this method a while back. I currently have used this method for a running red fox chasing a rabbit thru a corn field. Hope to finish it some day.

Robert Baker likes this.
  6. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Member

Thank you George for this explanation and thanks to the original poster for asking it. I've been searching for this very answer for two days now lol.

Robert