1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning In A Barn

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lance.G, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

i am thinking about getting set up to tan my own deer capes instead of sending them out. I plan on doing this in my barn. Will cooler temperatures like 40F effect the hide from wicking the pickle or the submersible tan?

Thanks,
    Lance

2. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Your pickle will be good but I would not want to tan with Lutan or Para Tan at temps anywhere near that low... What are you tanning with?

3. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

I am planning on using pro 1 submersible

4. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

40 is way too cold and you risk crystals forming on the hair from the salt just follow the Pro 1 instructions and keep the temperature at 70° or warmer in the air inside or your tanning fluid and around 70° for the pickle and warmer for the tan

5. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member

So best to do this in the shop and not the barn. Thanks Monte

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I agree with Monte! The colder temps may contribute to many problems. Particularly Saftee Acid which I sold, and is now sold by TASCO (Dan Rinehart). The Manufacturer told me not have it used by customer below 43 Degrees. Then it begins to crystalize and loses solubility in solution. I packaged some units once, and they were on a Shelf where they had low temperatures, and yes, they do crystalize. However, warming them and shaking them did make the crystalization go away.

msestak likes this.